28hp spl convert

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got1too

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Evinrude 28 hp SPL. As eveyone knows the 28 spl are long shaft. I wanted to make it a short shaft but when I took the 5" spacer out and pulled the 30 13/16'' drive shaft. I found a very odd spline count on the low end . 19 splines on bottom and 14 on top. Most short drive shafts I have found are 14 on both ends. Can anyone tell me if they made a short shaft that is 25 13/16" long with that spline count for a johny or evin 20 to 30hp? I really dont want to jack up the motor on the boat.

If I had a parts book I would not be asking the question. And from what I have read the spl's are a differnt thing altogether. Thanks for your help though!

Would you please check that spline count one more time. I can't find a single driveshaft with a 19 spline count.

1988 28SPL driveshaft(20")part number: 0329257

1984 was the last year to use the "old style" gearcases on recreational 25hp engines. These gearcases were used on Commercial engines all the way up through 1997. They were also used on the 28SPL engines. If you look up both driveshafts for Commercial engines you get part numbers as follows:

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

DRIVESHAFT, Long (This should be yours)

These part numbers supercede upto 1996-97 model years for similar commercial engines:

DRIVESHAFT, Long

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

Your driveshaft should have a number on it. (0329257)

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks you, first off for your help! You are correct about my shaft number is 329257.But I have counted the splines again and keep coming up with 19 on the lower unit end and 14 on the power head end.But I now have a part number to start hunting for. I got this motor at a good price and it looks like it was hardly ever used. But its a long shaft!.I have been to 2 local outboard shops in my area with no luck for a match. One had the same shaft just not a short with the spline count.If I can't fine a shaft, my son works at a machine shop and I will get him to shorten it.
But I would really like a replacement short shaft instead if I can fine one at the right price. I have time to look with winter and hard water here.
Thanks again,and Happy Holidays Would you please check that spline count one more time. I can't find a single driveshaft with a 19 spline count.

1988 28SPL driveshaft(20")part number: 0329257

1984 was the last year to use the "old style" gearcases on recreational 25hp engines. These gearcases were used on Commercial engines all the way up through 1997. They were also used on the 28SPL engines. If you look up both driveshafts for Commercial engines you get part numbers as follows:

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

DRIVESHAFT, Long (This should be yours)

These part numbers supercede upto 1996-97 model years for similar commercial engines:

DRIVESHAFT, Long

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

Your driveshaft should have a number on it. (0329257)

Please let us know what you find.[/quote]

OK then. I learned something.

Going by the factory parts website, the correct shaft(s) for your conversion:

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

DRIVESHAFT, Standard

As Pappy pointed out, you will need a shiftshaft as well. This is a good opportunity to put new seals in the lower unit. Disassembly is required to changeout the new shiftshaft. Might as well decide to replace your water tube or, like he said, cut yours exactly 5in.

The shift rod should be easy; it was used for decades:

SHIFT ROD, Lower

Latest posts