1972 25hp Evinrude problem.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
I got this motor it was originally a tiller handle and someone converted it to a remote. They cut the ears off that the tiller handle clamps to. I got all the parts to convert it back to tiller. Got it all together.. but the problem is when its wide open the roller cam/plate has about another 1/4" inch to go. The carb is wide open but the timing can advance a little more. Is this a problem? I have cant find how to time the handle and with the motor. Cant get the pointer on the handle to line up right either. I have messed with it and seem to come back to this same problem every time. Just cant figure out what I am missing.

Thanks
Steve

You have to do what is called a linkage synchronization. This procedure is found in the factory service manual. The spark and throttle have to be set to factory conditions for the whole engine to run correctly. If you can't find a manual I will send you copies of the pages you need.

The gears at the handle and steering bracket line up. Go ahead and send me those pages. I think alot of it is wear.

Steve

The maximum spark advance, on these engines, is set by the interlock lever. The points plate advances until it contacts the lever. That's all you get. Not adjustable. The manual gives a brief procedure for syncing the carb to the points plate.

Simply put...there are two marks on the throttle cam. With the roller between the marks the throttle is closed. The throttle just starts to move as the roller passes the second mark.

I have the odd year manuals. Your 72 is the same as the 1971, slightly different from the 1973. Monday I will be home and can post the procedure from the 1971 book.

I found how to do that. I think the handle grip isnt the right one. All I know it the roller that runs the throttle on the carb goes on the high part of the cam on the timing plate. the carb is wide open but the timing plate can turn about another 1/4 inch. you can see where the roller has sit on the cam. I think most of the problem is wear in the linkage.

Steve

Latest posts