recommended boat shops in NC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosshog

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sorry if it's been answered or suggested somewhere else but I was unable to find this info through the search. I recently got an older jon boat (duracraft 1518) and motor (1985 mercury 25xd). I'm not confident in my ability to do the maintenance and any repairs to get my motor running. I'm trying to find some shops around the fayetteville, nc area with good reputations. So far I've talked to ak mccallum but they don't work on mercurys, and I haven't been able to get in contact with the other shop in town. As this is my first boat and motor I'm worried about being taken advantage of for my ignorance. Once again all help is appreciated, and I hope everyone had a merry christmas.

Thanks, I think I wasn't clear in my post. I'm more looking for recommendations from personal experience. And I don't mind driving a ways for a good shop. One thing that concerns me with Wayne's boat shop is one of the reviews complains about him riding their boat around, it seems odd that a boat shop wouldn't just have a large container to run the motors instead of taking it all the way to the river.

I can't understand any shop that doesn't ride around to make sure its fixed right. I can't tell you how many engines run fine in a barrel but not out on the water. Boats aren't fixed until they run twice around the lake without a problem at any speed. I don't know Wayne from Adam; but it seems he thinks like I do...on this point anyway.

2c

Okay, that makes sense, I appreciate your response. For some reason I was thinking most repairs and diagnostic work could be done with a bucket. But actually running the motor under actual operating conditions does seem the best way to verify it's running right. Thanks again for your help.

Another thought for the lake running. A lot of motors are bolted to the transom and/or are cabled up for remote operation.
Can you imagine trying to get all that rigged to a barrel?
Just my $.02 worth ;)

bosshog said:
Thanks in advance for any help, I'm sorry if it's been answered or suggested somewhere else but I was unable to find this info through the search. I recently got an older jon boat (duracraft 1518) and motor (1985 mercury 25xd). I'm not confident in my ability to do the maintenance and any repairs to get my motor running. I'm trying to find some shops around the fayetteville, nc area with good reputations. So far I've talked to ak mccallum but they don't work on mercurys, and I haven't been able to get in contact with the other shop in town. As this is my first boat and motor I'm worried about being taken advantage of for my ignorance. Once again all help is appreciated, and I hope everyone had a merry christmas.
I'm actually from the lumberton area which is about 30 min. South of fayetteville down I-95. There is a boat mechanic outside of Lumberton off exit 20 then north on highway 41. His shop is called Rising marine and automotive I believe. I get my parts from him when I need them since he has them overnighted, at no additional cost the last time I ordered some, and he actually guided me over the phone how to disconnect my shift rod from lower unit when I was installing water pump. As far as labor per hour charge I don't know what he charges. But give him a call 910-738-3062...he also has a website now www.risingboatrepair.com...let me know if this helps.

Thanks I'll definitely give them a call. Have you had then do any work for you or do you just get your parts through them?

Judging from what I have read on this site and my friends experiences. If you use a boat repair shop, you got a real good chance of feeling taken at some time. Either from really being taken or more likely from feeling taken when the shop actually provided good service. Take your example, shop gives the motor a "on the water" test and the customer is pissed. That customer felt slighted when he should have felt pleased with that kind of attention. What was the mechanic gonna do, wear it out or something. Many problems only show up when using the boat / motor. I have a friend that bought a boat / motor though and spent $800 trying to get the 40hp mariner running right (including 3 times de-carbonizing the thing) at a shop and then traded it in and got $250 for it.

Good to work on them yourself if you can, making mistakes is part of the process, lots of guys on here can give great advice too.

Tim

earl60446 said:
Judging from what I have read on this site and my friends experiences. If you use a boat repair shop, you got a real good chance of feeling taken at some time. Either from really being taken or more likely from feeling taken when the shop actually provided good service. Take your example, shop gives the motor a "on the water" test and the customer is pissed. That customer felt slighted when he should have felt pleased with that kind of attention. What was the mechanic gonna do, wear it out or something. Many problems only show up when using the boat / motor. I have a friend that bought a boat / motor though and spent $800 trying to get the 40hp mariner running right (including 3 times de-carbonizing the thing) at a shop and then traded it in and got $250 for it.

Good to work on them yourself if you can, making mistakes is part of the process, lots of guys on here can give great advice too.

Tim

Harder to work on these new 4 stroke models under the shade tree.

Latest posts