Outboard vs Trolling motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattais33

Reaction score
See photos and tell me what you guys think. I have about $1,000.00 to drop and would like some feedback. I have a 14.5 semi v hull which you can see. I am 225lbs and usually fish with one other person about same size. Mostly fish brackish rivers and fresh water lakes here in central florida.
I was originally considering just powering the boat with a 55lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide with a 29 Deep cycle battery.
After doing some research, it looks like I could get into a new 4-6 hp outboard for around 1200.
If I went with the outboard option, I could downsize the trolling motor since it would not be main power.
What kind of speeds am I looking at with a 4 to a 6hp outboard 4 stroke?
What are you guys thoughts initially?
Thanks for the input.

IMAG0719.jpg
IMAG0722.jpg

With weight forward the boat should plane off. Speeds will be low.
Just the small lakes we have up here in Central Florida the boat will do fine......better fishing too! Speck season is almost here!
Would check around and look into an older two stroke for your needs though. Smaller, way lighter and better punch out of the hole. Fuel tank can be moved farther fowward to help with weight distribution.
When I was little I ran an old 5 1/2 on a heavy 12' fiberglass hull for years. That little boat ran a whopping 14mph. The 6hp has better power and the hull is lighter and has more planing surface.
If interested, I have a 6hp that came out of Minnesota. Never been close to salt water and is a low time engine.
I have gone through the ignition, carburetion and put a new water pump in as well as checked the gearcase seals and changed gear oil.
You aren't far from me so if interested let me know. You will have money left over for a good trolling motor and battery.
I think I have a pretty good reputation around here so feel free to check around if necessary or read up on some of my posts to get a feel for whether or not I know what I am doing. Can also read my profile.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate that. May keep that 6 HP in mind. No doubt about your credibility. I appreciate all input from anyone. I will check out your profile too. Thanks again.

You will appreciate that gas motor in the morning, getting to your spots and catching fish more quickly, and then again in the afternoon, when you aren't rowing because your battery is out of juice!

The trolling motor is what you use to put you in your spots quietly, so both are needed to make the most of your boat and time on the water.

That 6 sounds like a good deal.

Where in Central FL are you, Pappy? I lived in Cape Canaveral for a number of years. I really miss the variety of fishing types and locations that we had there. Really spoiled me for anywhere else!

-TH

My Dad moved to Altamonte Springs a few years back, not too far from you. Some REALLY good fishing in FL. I miss it!

-Tony

well guys here is the deal
i went ahead and bought a 55lb thrust minn kota rip tide transom. i currently mounted it on the bow with a bracket i frabricated, works great. now onto the outboard. i saw a guy with a sea nymph the other day that had pretty much the same set up as me with a 6 hp on it. looked great by the way. i love how i take pictures of the little tin boats and pay no mind to the 22 foot shearwater driving by...ha.
anyhow, funny how you guys live so close to me. i am out by ucf in oviedo and used to work in tavares by lake saunders.....ha

so....about this 6hp. what kind of cash were you looking for? i actually have a 1969 20 hp mercury tiller that needs work (i am no mechanic). i am not sure my little "money talks" could handle this motor. anyhow, i may be interstred in the 6hp. good hearing from you guys.

seriously hilarious. that is right down the street from where I used to work. We were right across the street from Tees custom shop.
I got you PM. will be calling you this week.
Thanks again.