8HP for 1542

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassguytom

Reaction score
I can get a Tracker 1542 for a good price and now have a 1232. I have a 8 HP 2 stroke Johnson motor and was wondering if this would be ok to use with the Tracker 1542? I'm not going to deck the 1542 and it weighs 190 now. If I don't have to I don't want to get a diffrent motor. Any input would be helpful.

Nice thing about having a longer boat with the lower horsepower is that you have, in essence, more planing surface. The boat may not be as fast at wot but it will carry your load better and you can distribute that load more effectively.
The 8hp engines were no slouch in the power dept. so you should like what you get out of the package.
Would a 15hp do better? You bet, but you have the 8hp and it will do just fine.

Pappy is right on the money I have a 9.9 Merc. 4 stroke on the exact same boat and it does just fine with 2 big guys and fishing gear I don't think 2 HP will make much difference.

I agree I think you will be good. As long as you don't plan on racing it. Lol!!!

Latest posts