New To Me - 1996 Evinrude 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kustrud

Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought a 2000 Evinrude 25 HP (after looking up the model number its actually a 1996, called the guy back and he said the guy he bought it from said it was a 2000, he just knows how to work on em and seems like a good dude - Ill le it go for now). Anyway, 1996/2000, either way I think I got a good deal. I paid $800 for it and it looks pristine under the hood - will be repainting the outside. Started cold first pull, shifts smooth, forward, neutral, reverse all work well, everything seems real nice quiet and tight. Compression is 130 on both cylinders exactly. Question, he hooked up some old muffs to it so I could see it run and I did now notice any water coming out of the pee hole. DOes the thermostat need to be open for water to come out of here? I know muffs can give a skewed result on this as well.....so please let me know if ya know - if water is supposed to come out of the pee hole immediately i will back it in to the lake tonight and try it again, but some things I read say it wont pee until the T stat opens. Thanks!

No, thermostat does not need to be open on this engine. Block just needs to be full.
If the muffs were the cheapo ones with the plastic tensioner you probably wouldn't get the water through the block.
Second thing to check would be a blockage in the line. Just stick something up into the hose and try again.
If the engine has not had an impeller or pump change that would be a definite on the "to do" list.
Was surprising to read that the guy you bought it from "just works on these" yet didn't know what year the engine was.
Pretty much anyone that works on the Johnson/Evinrude brands knows the model number code.

Ok Ill try that. COuld I take the hose off and blow air through it? Its just the small hose that shoots out the bottom of the motor case and runs up into the top of the mototr right?

Alright took the hose off and hit it with the compressor, was clogged 100%, something shot out, clear! Backed it into the lake and fired it up, steady stream!!

Latest posts