New Mercury 60/40

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshamby01

Reaction score
I just sold my Yamaha 40/30. Now I am getting a new Mercury 60/40. Does anyone have any info on Mercury's recommended break in procedures? Yamaha's recommendation was a long drawn out 10 hour ordeal. I sure hope Mercury is a lot shorter. General opinions on break in welcome as well.

Thanks

Not sure about the newest ones but a few yrs. ago it was around a 10 hr. Break-in process

I'm told it's about the same.

The break in period is the maker's way of keeping a user from destroying it quickly. A good dealer will do part of the break in when they prep and mount the motor. Specifically the idling part of it. From there, it's just a matter of not running wide open for long periods. You can go full throttle, just vary your speeds up and down.

If there is a problem with the motor, you'll find out within the first hour or so usually. And a lot of times, when a good dealer is doing the break in (I do it in a horse trough just idling), if there were a problem, the dealer will fix it before you ever knew about it. I work with Yamaha's and rarely see any kind of problem with them-even the 40/30's. They're very popular out here, last year the place I work for sold about a dozen or so jets, couple of them replacing Merc's. Rest were new boat installs, river boat, already set up for the 40/30.

Latest posts