Old Evinrude ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
I'm adding elect start & generator to a 1962 Speeditwin 28hp, 282002C. On the starter side the starter bracket was in place. On the generator side I replaced the original bracket with the generator bracket. All matches up, clears and looks fine except. The original configuration has an additional cast aluminum piece bolted on both ends connecting the starter bracket to the bracket now replaced by the generator bracket. Of course that piece will no longer fit with the gen bracket in place. I can't find a picture or part# anywhere to tell me if there should be an additional piece to bridge the gap and connect the 2 brackets over the carb. Do'es anyone know? I'm concerned with torque/stress from the elec starter cracking its mounting bracket.

Putback, If you don't have an answer yet, pose your question here:
https://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember
Click on "start New Topic"
A picture would help as well.

Just in case someone in the future has this same problem I've added pics. #2 is the original w/ starter bracket & w/o generator bracket, brace is ahead of orange tape. 6.50" ctr to ctr. #1 is w/ gen bracket installed. If there should be a brace it would be 3.65" ctr to ctr. If I get a part # I'll add it later.

Attachments

• evinrude bracket 1.JPG
    evinrude bracket 1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 649
  • evinrude bracket 4.JPG
    evinrude bracket 4.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 649
The bracket I needed is #307460. This one came from a '63 40hp Evinrude. Ask a member gave me an answer in short order, thanks much. It appears starter, generator and all their hardware is interchangeable between 28 and 40 HP from the same era.

Latest posts