Another Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kustrud

Reaction score
Motor is a 1996 Evinrude 25 HP, pull start. No choke, just the primer knob. Cranks in 1 pull and runs perfect. Only thing is once I've been going and slow down to an idle it will skip or misfire maybe once a minute or so. What should I start with here? Thanks!

All I have really done his check things out such as the compression lower unit fluid and really just inspect everything pretty closely I have not changed anything yet. I'm sure he could use a set of plugs and the guy said that he rebuilt the carburetor. I also just filled my gas tank up and added the Marine Stabil and Seafoam to it. What should I do as far as a tuneup new spark plugs I'm assuming? There is also one adjustment screw on top of the carburetor is this an idle speed screw or a mixture adjustment screw? Can you adjust the timing on these things?

What you've described sounds like a lean condition at idle, which causes a sneeze or miss sound. You can confirm by covering the carb opening with your hand when its sneezing. If it stops then that's your problem.
You can adjust your idle speed when the engine has warmed up and on a boat.
Iboats has a lot of helpful info including a procedure on how to adjust the carb needle for idle speed.
I would grab a cup of coffee and have a good read.
Good luck.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/307224-top-secret-file-updated-8-1-2012

The adjustment on the carburetor is a mixture adjustment screw. Richen (turn counter clockwise) that screw about 1/8 - 1/4 turn and run the engine. You wont hurt a thing by doing this. If that works .... you are done!
Your idle speed adjustment should be on the end of your tiller arm. Screw that knob in and the idle speed will increase and vice versa.

Exactly the response I was waiting on, good info and thanks! I ran it again today after having Seafoam and Stabil in the tank along with some new spark plugs and back at the ramp idling it didn't do it once.....I'll still give it 1/8 turn and hopefully be set!

Latest posts