'87 yamaha good or too old?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/4829130674.html
Supposed to run great and was well taken care of. Judging by the lack of paint loss on the prop it has not seen much use. Would this be a good reliable motor or should I look for something newer?
They did not change impeller or gear oil. I wonder what they "serviced".

$1295 ain't a bad deal. BUT it's a remote steer motor best I can tell. Tiller steer 25's......in this area.....would be up around $2000.

Serviced? Well if they didn't replace the oil in the foot, and didn't at least inspect the impeller, I'd question what they did. Maybe put a pair of spark plugs in it? But on the other hand, if they're offering a 90 day warranty, they must be pretty confident.

The prop has either been painted or replaced. They come with white props from the factory. What little I can see, it looks like a Solas prop. The white yamaha prop has thinner blades among other things.

If the compression is 120 on both cylinders, it's probably a good motor. But I still question why someone would service a motor, and not replace the fluid in the foot, or at least check the water pump and it's parts for wear....

if you're interested in it, ask them to put it in a test tank, and let you hear it run. Then ask them to replace the impeller and foot oil, and then they've got a deal.

That motor didn't change much from the late 1980's until 2008 when they stopped selling them in the US. In the mid '90's it lost oil injection. In 2005/6 the carbs became EPA compliant (for that time) in that they run leaner at idle and they also have capped idle mixture screws. Those were the major changes. They're good motors, dual carb, they idle 10x better than most single carb 25's; and some of the better idle quality is due to the engine displacement....they're only 395cc (most of the 25's were close to 500cc). A smaller engine, idles great, uses a little less fuel than single carb'd 500cc motors. And the oil injection is nice :)

But I'd personally still rather have a 4 stroke. I've had both.

turbotodd said:
$1295 ain't a bad deal. BUT it's a remote steer motor best I can tell. Tiller steer 25's......in this area.....would be up around $2000.

Thanks for the reply. I actually need a tiller steer and they said they had a tiller kit and would convert it for me. The gear oil is no big deal, I have the stuff to do it and it takes less than 5 minutes. I would ask them to change impeller but I'm also going to haggle on the price( I only have $1200, cash).
So the prop has been changed.. They said this was on a 13' boston whaler. I plan to mount it on a 14' tin. Is it likely it has the wrong prop on it now? What would be the best size/pitch for a 14' tin?
Thanks for all the other info though, thats what I was looking for. I think I'll make the hour drive in the morning and check it out.
Anyone else have anything to add?

The factory installed white aluminum prop works well for a lot of applications, 14' to lighter 16' boats. Ran one on mine and it was faster than several stainless props, and cheaper by far. 9 7/8" diameter, 11 1/4" pitch.

And oddly enough, that same prop is within .5 mph of an expensive 11" turbo SS prop that's on my 4 stroke, but the turbo gets out of the hole a little better.