New vs old motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

answer3

Reaction score
Hi
I am planning to buy a used 14 or 16 ft aluminium v hull boat soon, and because I don't know much in mechanics I was planning to buy a new 9.9hp or 15hp outboard to prevent any bad surprises of buying a bad used motor. I know that if I buy it new I would have less hp for the same price compared to a used one, but I don't want to risk having to row back 3 miles to shore because the motor broke...
My question is how does the price of a new outboard reduces over the first few years? Do I loose a lot of $$ if I sell it in 1 or 2 years? Is it better to buy a 1-2 year old outboard from a dealer that is still under warranty in case anything goes wrong?
What would you advise me to do?

Some of the older motors are just as reliable as the new ones. You do have to take care of your motor no matter how new or old it is. A new motor that has not been taken care of will be worse than an old motor that has been taken care of. You will learn some things about motors if you want to keep them in tip top shape. Fuel issues are a big reason for breakdowns.

As for paddling back three miles to shore, there is an unwritten rule that you help out your fellow boater in distress. If someone see's you in trouble maybe you could get a tow. Just think it could be them in trouble next time out. I have towed a few back to their landing myself. I have had problems also but managed to limp back to my launch. It happens.

Buying a new or used motor is up to you. If you feel a new motor will let you sleep better at night it may be worth it. I can't help you on that decision. Good luck.

KMixson said:
Some of the older motors are just as reliable as the new ones. You do have to take care of your motor no matter how new or old it is. A new motor that has not been taken care of will be worse than an old motor that has been taken care of. You will learn some things about motors if you want to keep them in tip top shape. Fuel issues are a big reason for breakdowns.

As for paddling back three miles to shore, there is an unwritten rule that you help out your fellow boater in distress. If someone see's you in trouble maybe you could get a tow. Just think it could be them in trouble next time out. I have towed a few back to their landing myself. I have had problems also but managed to limp back to my launch. It happens.

Buying a new or used motor is up to you. If you feel a new motor will let you sleep better at night it may be worth it. I can't help you on that decision. Good luck.

I agree

Latest posts