What is this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
I have an 88 25hp Johnson, I was cranking her up and running for a little bit yesterday and today I found this leaking around the propImageUploadedByTapatalk1421347617.688311.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421347631.446218.jpg
It smells like gas and it feels like gas? Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction of what I need to do?

Not all fuel is burned in the engine. That is probably just some unburnt fuel/oil mix that got by the system when it was running. You even have this happen on top fuel dragsters. The fire coming from the exhaust of a dragster is unburnt fuel that is being burned after leaving the cylinders. I wouldn't worry about it.

Normal ... through prop exhaust!

... as exhaust cools, oil film forms on the inside surfaces (same reason WHY 2-strokes can smoke heavily upon start up!) ... motor get hot, exhaust gets hot ... remnant oil weeps out.

Oh okay thanks guys I was getting nervous that something had broken. This is my first outboard an I wanna try and keep it a long time.

Really? This is all a learning as I go but I did have it on the muffs yesterday so that makes more since. Any idea why that is?

lgpjr49 said:
... but I did have it on the muffs yesterday so that makes more since. Any idea why that is?
Sure! That oil and/or other unburnt & by-products of the combustion process aren't noted (as much anyway) when the LU is submerged in the water. Plus there's exponentially more of the water for it to disperse into.

Latest posts