Mercruiser 3.0 inboard help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthefish

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 19.5 spectrum by blue fin with 3.0 mercruiser 1992. Wanted the know a few things. How do I change the oil and with what oil do I use? Can I use regular car oil? If so what viscosity and is synthetic preferable. Also have a alpha bravo stern drive.... Do I need to change the gear oil on a regular?

On my 3.0 in my pontoon you have to have a pump that screws on to the dipstick tube. If you look the dipstick tube it should have threads on it just below the top. You just pump the handle to remove the oil. They also make electric pumps with tubes that go down the dipstick. As far as oil I have always used regular 10w-30.

And you can also use a hand operated vacuum pump.
Yes you have to change drive oil.
You have to grease the Gimbal bearing as well.
Pull the prop and thrust washer and check for fish line. Grease splines and re-install prop.
If you have a newer model you will have a gear oil reservoir on the engine that will have to be filled or you will get a horn. No, you do not refill the drive from the reservoir.
Actually, a proper service includes pulling the drive and greasing the splines and checking for water leakage into the boots.

OK good to know.... So I will have to grab a hand pump I've seen these before... Do I just insert into the dipstick? Does anyone know where I can get a manual for this motor?

Latest posts