Outboard Cowl Heat shield

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdevans8899

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1970 14 ft Starcraft jon with a 1990 Evinrude 25 hp outboard. It appears that the PO painted the outboard cowl and it has begun to bubble the paint due to heat. I would imagine that they originally had some kind of heat shield inside to prevent this but it has been removed and is now just bare fiberglass.

What would be a good replacement material that I could install at home? Thanks in advance for any advice.

No, the bubbles were caused by faulty preparation before painting. I've painted many an OB for 30+ years and maybe 2or 3 gas any insulation. And as is, that vis really only for noise, but yes it's will absorb some heat.

Strip, sand, solvent wash, prime and re-paint and you'd say good to go!

I strongly agree with Dale.
Eventually, we all remove the crumbling foam insulation.
Some will glue in the foil covered bubble wrap or some kind
of insulation strictly for the NOISE reduction, not the heat.

Proper surface prep, primer and paint will last many years.

Many of us repaint cowls - - - very few ever have problems.
Personally, I just sand smooth, wipe with alcohol, prime with a automotive sandable primer,
mask off the design, and spray with Rust-o-Leum paints.

FWIW I also learned the 'trick' a few years ago about adding many light coats of a clear gloss. Besides making it look SHARP - the painted finish lasts longer and the clear can be lightly wet-sanded and re-painted, adding greatly to the longevity!

DaleH and Jmichael both have good points.

I have experienced both scenarios !!
Paint bubbling and flaking from poor prep
and
paint bubbling from a overheated starter that got so
hot it actually damaged the outside paint. Not to mention
the old insulation foam.

so, IMO, both are correct.

DaleH said:
JMichael said:
If you're generating enough heat to bubble paint on the cowl, you've got way more serious problems than bubbled paint IMO.
Uhhhh, sorry ... but POOR preparation can bubble paint without heat ...
Uhhhh, sorry ... but Read it again, :roll: I never said or even insinuated that heat caused his paint to bubble or that it is was the only thing that could bubble paint. The OP said
It appears that the PO painted the outboard cowl and it has begun to bubble the paint due to heat.
I just tried to point out that if your water cooled engine is generating enough heat to bubble paint on the cowl, you've got more serious problems than bubbled paint. Meaning you've got serious engine problems.

JMichael said:
I just tried to point out that if your water cooled engine is generating enough heat to bubble paint on the cowl, you've got more serious problems than bubbled paint. Meaning you've got serious engine problems.
I see your point now ... sorry I misinterpreted it :oops: . Thanks for responding and clarifying :) !

Latest posts