Can 2 strokes be imported from Canada?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrum

Reaction score
Can you buy a 2 stroke Yamaha from a Canadian marina and have it shipped back to the U.S.? I'm not concerned about warranty. I've read they are cheaper out of country but I'm not really concerned about that I just want a new 2 stroke shirt shaft 25 hp Yamaha.

Thanks!

That is a very good question.

I would question the warranty. If you can import it across the line, there is absolutely NO warranty on it whatsoever. I do know that 100% certainty, as my Yamaha outboard service and parts reps stressed that in detail a couple years ago. We at the dealer are not even supposed to sell parts for it over the counter, if the customer states that it is a non-USA motor.

Then have to figure in the taxes, import fees, etc. That is IF (and that is a big IF) it can be done, since the EPA doesn't want any new carbureted 2 stroke 25hp motors in the USA.

After all is said and done, it makes me wonder, would it worth it? Especially since the 4 stroke stuff has gotten so much better over the years, and now that a new 25 4 stroke is coming, the old 2 smokers might be doomed for all but the die-hard 2-smoke guys. They're still popular here with the duck hunters (boat racers) and we, at the dealer, like them. We work on them a lot and sell a lot of parts. As long as those parts are still available. Once the 5 year window disappears-and it has-we will start to see some of the parts being phased out for the old 2 stroke motors. I haven't seen it yet but it's coming. Manufacturers are only required to keep replacement and repair parts for 5 years after the last date of manufacture in the USA markets.

If you do get one sent down see if you can get me one of the non-low flow toilets.

New two-stroke(carburated)are no longer sold in Canada since 2008 I believe.Still available in South America,Australia,and some European countries and parts of Asia.

2008 was the last year for the 25 carb'd 2 stroke in the USA (yamaha specifically). think 2011 for Canada-but I don't keep up with that market, and that 2011 figure is internet "Hear-say". That said, a lot of dealers knew the day was coming and loaded up on them. At the time, they were selling for $3499 MSRP (which is what I sold them for). Once everyone knew that they were going to disappear for the USA, dealers started marking them up. Horribly in many cases. Might be worth calling around to different dealers to see if anyone's got one left over. If they do, it'll carry a FULL warranty as long as it's a US motor sold inside the USA.

You know what's funny is I've tried calling around to dealers in the south eastern states and to be honest most of them act like they don't even know what a 2 stroke means. I guess there is a lot of turnover in the phone answering dept at marinas.

Well I don't speak Spanish so South America could be tough. I bet freight from Australia would be more than the engine! :(

Go to Belieze. It is the only English speaking country down there.

At one time Art's Marine in North Little Rock, AR had a few leftovers. Sunrise powersports in Searcy, AR had a bunch but I think they're all gone. Based on what I've been told by some of our customers, they had a bunch of them, they were hoarded for a couple years, just long enough to whet people's whistle, then they were scalping people who were wanting them. One customer said that is what he wanted and he ended up paying nearly $5000 for it after all the fees and taxes. That is ridiculous, IMO. But good marketing strategy I guess. I don't like to work that way.

Had a used 2008 25ESH, clean, sold it for $1300. Had it on CL and ebay, buy it now, $2000. No takers. Very few questions. Was on the market almost 4 months. As much as people talk about how highly sought after they are, I was totally surprised. But I can sell used 4 strokes withing a day or two for $2,000 pretty easily. They're heavier. But apparently more popular? I don't know. Just our market I guess. Or perhaps the 4 strokes are taking over. Whether we like it or not. I like it.

redrum said:
Can you buy a 2 stroke Yamaha from a Canadian marina and have it shipped back to the U.S.? I'm not concerned about warranty. I've read they are cheaper out of country but I'm not really concerned about that I just want a new 2 stroke shirt shaft 25 hp Yamaha.

Thanks!

Even though I'm a 2 stroke fan, and still have a few in the garage. If I were your situation I would just move on. You can buy a new 4 stroke or Etec motor for that kinda money. I could have picked-up a new 25hp Etec w/power tilt&trim for about $4,000 last fall. But after careful thought I figured I'd wait a while since I have a good runner. Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts