Should I buy this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kustrud

Reaction score
I have a 1996 Evinrude 25 HP (2 cylinder) shortshaft tiller, runs great! Im about 230, boat is a 648 War Eagle with full floor and a huge battery, trolling motor up front and some gear. With just me and a 10x13 prop it'll run 26-27, haven't run with two people since going form a 15 pitch to the 13, but it really jumps out of the hole. Anyway, I found a STEAL on a motor. Its a new "in-the-crate" never been ran 2007 Merc 25 HP, 3 cylinder, EFI for $2,600. I figure I can sell my motor for at least $1,200 so it wont be TOO expensive. Thoughts?

**Also comes with 3 year warranty and option to extend to 7**

I don't think I'd expect $1200 for a 14 year old motor.
The new motor won't have a warranty(I don't think). I think it's a good deal, but I don't know if it's a 'steal'.
If I knew I had a good motor, I'd stick with it. I have a 75 year old Evinrude that still runs. They just won't die unless really abused! I think that's why they're cheap...there's just so many OMC's still out there.

But that's just me. :|

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate any input here. I forgot to include it comes with a 3 year warranty and extended to 7 available!

I really don't think you will gain much performance if that is what you are after. And you will spend a lot of money trying if you go that route.
You can save a ton of money if you look up and read where the guys are turning their 25hp engines into 30 and 35hp engines for not a lot of money.
The thread is usually on the first or second page here.

Thanks Pappy. Performance would be nice but not my main goal here really, and I have read the entire threads of turning mine into a 30 or 35 as well which does seem quite feasible. The main thing that appeals to me is a nice, brand new motor that is fuel injected and warrantied.....

Peace of mind with proven design. If the Evinrude is in nice condition with reasonable hours, I'd save the money and the weight.

If the Evinrude is pretty, quiet, and has good manners, you can get 1000-1200 easy.
If she's ugly, loud, and spits, then not so much.

These engines are getting more and more valuable because they are easy to own.
GOOD used 2strokes are bringing sometimes double what they were 10 years ago.

Yeah I haven't had it that long but have put several hours on it with zero issues. I just like the thought of a new, fuel injected motor with a warranty. Any thoughts on the 2007 EFI's vs the 2015 (Merc 25 HP)??

I would try an etec first. If I must suffer increased weight, I want the snap and smoothness of a 2stroke. The 4strokes just aren't my cup of tea.

Four strokes, by nature, need to build rpm to make their power. So many moving parts...so much maintenance. These subjects aren't discussed in the dealers showroom. Cam drive adjustments, valve lash adjustments, and oil/filter changes come the mind.

I'd love an E-Tec as that would be my first choice. But that's out of my budget. A new motor was not even in my thoughts until I stumbled upon the 2007 new in a crate with a warranty for $2,675. If that's not an option, your pretty sure I'd be happier with my 1996 Evinrude?

all these old sayings come to mind, "A bird in hand beats 2 in the bush", "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into"
Last spring I raced a bud of mine, He had a new 2014 Suzuki 25 hp 4 stroke, 14' jon, Mine, 1992 25 hp Evinrude put together from spare parts, on a 16' semi-V . We ran side by side,neither could pass the other. He's making payments, I'm putting it in the bank.......... and buying more older evinrudes :mrgreen:

Bottom line is, that is your money do what you like. just my 2 cent :)

Boat2fast said:
If the Evinrude is pretty, quiet, and has good manners, you can get 1000-1200 easy.
If she's ugly, loud, and spits, then not so much.

These engines are getting more and more valuable because they are easy to own.
GOOD used 2strokes are bringing sometimes double what they were 10 years ago.

Not in this area. As much as I would like to think that them old smokers are worth more now, I haven't seen the monetary proof yet. I buy and sell a few motors and honestly, the 4 stroke stuff brings nearly 2x more than the smokers do. Now there's lots of reasons for that. One is that your older folks tend be the ones looking for a more reliable, confident motor (4 stroke) and they are the ones who generally have a little money stashed.

I actually like the the Merc 25 triple 4 stroke. Its one of the only black motors that I like. I rented a trout boat 2 years ago that had one of the 4 stroke 25 mercs and it was VERY quiet, smooth, gave no trouble whatsoever and sipped fuel.

Someone mentioned the Etec. 25hp ETEC is almost as heavy as a 4 stroke Yamaha, which is the heaviest 25hp motor ever built I think. And ETEC costs a lot more, or at least it does around here. And is quite a bit more complex in it's fuel injction, where the 3 Yamaha's that are on the showroom are all carbureted. Simplicity. So....since supposedly the selling point of the ETEC is that it's a light 2 stroke, but it still weighs a ton and is blessed with electronic fuel injection that has been sub-stellar from what I have seen. Some love them, others hate them. Nobody I've talked to just "likes" them.

Latest posts