1974 Johnson 25hp steal....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarver

Reaction score
So found an ad on Craigslist for a aluminum boat, motor, and trailer not much details for only $500 thought it was worth the risk and bought it.

I'm working on the motor now and everything checks out pretty clean I have an impeller I have to replace lower unit look good, and it has great compression! overall I think it looks like its in pretty good shape really happy about this find you can check it out on my online blog and the boat itself will hopefully start getting restored when it warms up outside. Ready for summer to begin!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424614864319.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424614864319.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424614875705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424614875705.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,260
Sweet! I got the lower unit apart now, I've been looking at the blueprints avalible on marineengines.com under the parts section. Waiting on ordering the impeller and a few screws that I stripped out getting the lower unit off and some lubrication. I'm heading to Minnesota this weekend thinking of checking I'm a marine shop up there for parts before I check online. Tonight I'm debating either take the flywheel off and check all the contacts and points. Or see where my thermostat is at and pull it out and boil some water and test it tonight decisions decisions.... Lol

ccarver said:
Tonight I'm debating either take the flywheel off and check all the contacts and points.
I recall replacing the points on a similar vintage motor and it turned a nice OB into a SWEET strong one that starts every time!

DaleH said:
ccarver said:
Tonight I'm debating either take the flywheel off and check all the contacts and points.
I recall replacing the points on a similar vintage motor and it turned a nice OB into a SWEET strong one that starts every time!
Cool, I'm pretty new to motors.... trying to do the simple stuff first.... how hard of a project is it to replace points?

ccarver said:
Yep! 1978 AMF crestliner trying to find pics online ... kinda wanna restore it back to original color ...

Send me a PM with your email address. I will send you a data sheet.
You can identify the exact model from there.

jasper

Pulled the thermostat out last night... boiled it in 190° water .... nothing.... guess that's another part I need to add to my shopping list lolView attachment 1View attachment 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424703068675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424703068675.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,197
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424703083813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424703083813.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424703097146.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424703097146.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,197
The thermostat in a Johnson or Evinrude does not control the total flow of water in your engine. It is designed to operate at idle and just above and is there to warm the engine at idle to increase idle smoothness and to run warm enough in cold water to keep condensation in the cylinders to a minimum.
Anything above idle, your engines water flow drastically increases and basically by passes the thermostat and cools the powerhead back down.

So if I understand this correctly it's not temperature but more pressure (higher RPM makes water pump spin faster = higher water pressure and the thermostat is spring loaded to a certain psi.)

Okay this may be a really really really really really stupid question... But I figured I'd ask it anyway I'm 99% sure this is a no, but is there any way to hook up my motor to a deep cycle battery and have it charging when its running? it does have a starter with it so I can hook it up to a battery with an ignition switch but will it also charge a battery?

The lap strake hull design looks similar to a starcraft. Looks to be a nice rig if you got the title to it. Lots of fish left to be caught in
from the looks of it.

Latest posts