Does your motor have an air filter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
My 25HP 1985 Johnson doesn't have an air filter in front of the carb.

Is this normal?

I have a K&N Motorcycle air filter that would fit right over the front of my carb and work great.

The guy who sold me the boat and motor said filters aren't necessary on boats because there isn't as much dust and stuff to pickup. Sounds like BS to me though.

Typically it's not dusty on the water. However, in Alabama during the spring, the pollen can be so thick at times it would rival any dusty dirt road. Obviously that is a little exaggerated but the motor has to pull a bunch in when it is running.

If there was a way to add a filter to my tohatsu I would just because.

Ain't never seen a traditional outboard that had an air filter. But I wish they did. If nothing else but to keep the dirt dobber nests from getting into the engine when they break free of the block, flywheel, whatever.

Todd -
Start using the Boeshield T9 on the powerhead. We are in Mud Dauber central down here and have been using it on customer engines for over a decade now. They cannot build a next on a slippery surface. Most customers only get it applied when they come in for yearly service and no mud daubers!!
The stuff is not thick and gooey like some of the preservatives.