69 Evinrude 6HP for $250

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigmax

Reaction score
Craigslist find I'm considering buying. Fires, Has a 5 gallon tank plus extra prop. Any considerations before i make the drive to see it? Thanks all.

Craigmax said:
Craigslist find I'm considering buying. Fires, Has a 5 gallon tank plus extra prop. Any considerations before i make the drive to see it? Thanks all.

Fires or cranks?

Those old motors (Johnson & Evinrude) are relatively simple to replace the condensers and points, rebuild the fuel pump and change the spark plug. Total cost is under $50 for the parts. I'd say if it fires, buy it. Just my opinion.

When you get there, ask the seller to pull start it. Take notice on he/she reacts, as in, if they will try or not. Also, see how they prime it/choke it, etc..... If it fires.....check the lower unit. See if the prop will turn freely in N. Try it in R & D to see if it has compression against it. See if the prop looks to be "centered" or to one side or the other. If it's centered, you're probably ok. If not, it might have problems with the lower unit and gears. Check to see if it has oil in the lower unit. Check to foot for cracks. [-X

Look it over REAL good! Only you can make the decision to buy or not to buy. Last but surely not least, pray about it before you go, and trust Him to make the decision for you. [-o<

Good Luck!

Great insight Lonestar. I appreciate it. Will do some more reading before making the drive tomorrow. Thanks again

Craigmax said:
Great insight Lonestar. I appreciate it. Will do some more reading before making the drive tomorrow. Thanks again

This link has been a really big help to me. He just tells it like it is. Lots of good info. Hope it helps you, too.

https://www.leeroysramblings.com

Keep us posted on what you do. If you buy it, take pics and post!

Keith
Tyler, Texas

Wow that's a good deal for the price.
I have a 1974 6hp Fisherman that I inherited from my grandfather after he passed away,and to this day it will start on the first pull.
Even with changing the points,plugs,impeller and lower unit oil, carb & fuel pump clean that will be a motor you can run for years without hassle for $350.00 all in.
Last summer one of those exact motors sold for $900.00(Canadian) at a local swap meet.

Latest posts