28 HP Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtech

Reaction score
Hey folks. Ran into a fellow who has a 1990, Johnson 28 hp for sale. Boat needs water pump,gear lube, carb cleaned, fuel lines replaced, and spark plugs. Did compression test, 119psi/121psi top and bottom cylinders. He's asking $400.00. Is it worth it? ( Looking to put it on a 1648 Fisher Marine).

Edit: the more I read your post, the more RED FLAGS I see.
ask yourself - - - WHY does it need a water pump ?? Did the seller run it long or at all with a bad pump??
why does it need gear oil ?? does the shaft seals leak water into the lower unit gear case ??
are the seals in the gear case bad - causing the gear oil to leak out ?
At least he is telling you these things UP FRONT, and you don't have to address them after you buy it.
Education comes with experience and frustrations, but, it doesn't have to be expensive.
Like Pappy said, if there are no visual signs that it has overheated in the past, the "known issues"
can be dealt with by a novice. The water pump is very easy to replace, fuel lines the same.
IF you get this motor, or another one, go to ebay and buy a factory service manual and a parts book
for that year and model. Learn as you !!!!!

#1 issue would be, if it needs a water pump, LOOK CLOSELY for any signs
that the motor may have overheated in the past. Discolored or flaking paint
on the cylinders. If the cylinders have fresh paint on the them and not the rest
of the motor, it may "appear' as if the seller is trying to cover something up.
If there is - BEEP BEEP BEEP BACK UP BACK UP RUN AWAY !!!

In Central Florida, that would be an average price for a 25hp with controls and that many issues.
Maybe $300 if you are a smooth talker.

Yes there is a boat and trailer. I purchased a 1648 fisher marine w/trailer for $325.00. ( pic is on another topic, matter of fact, you commented on the topic, how to attach carpet without exposed screws). I should have said the "motor" needs.... Sorry about that. Anyway, It is controls, not tiller steer.

Buying "just the motor" from a private seller is very risky....

I have bought several over the years that "ran fine in the yard"
but when put on the boat, found out a LOT of issues can not be
tested "in the yard" such as fuel pump or carb not functioning 100% under power.
Shift linkage all worn out - lower foot gears all messed up - yada yada yada.

That is why I always stress to everyone - address ALL these issues with the seller.
if he insists that all is good, ask for a WRITTEN 30 day warranty on EVERYTHING.
If he refuses, then the price goes way down from there. Or I walk.
Because then, EVERYTHING becomes YOUR problem, which could be very costly.

LOL LOL LOL many of us "old timers" give you this free advice because of things
that WE have done over the years that we have painfully paid for.
Best of luck in your endeavors.

Jus my dos centavos

Latest posts