9.9 Mercury Four-Stroke Falls Flat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DacMan

Reaction score
So started the Merc this afternoon for the first time in about 3-4 months. Gas is roughly 5 months old; boat is always stored in a heated garage. Hooked it up to the muffs and fired it up, took quite a while to get it primed, primed the bulb forever then the prime button on the motor 10 times before it fired up. The motor idles respectably with the high idle choke on, but seems to idle way to low with choke off, it died several times just shifting into gear. As it warmed up it got better, and eventually it would not die but we're talking about atleast 10-15 minutes of idling and occasional revving to overcome dying (Is that how longs it takes to warm up? The air temp was 62 degrees). Finally i could throw it into gear and all the way over without falling flat on its face. Nonetheless it seems that even when fully warmed it idles way low and even misses at times struggling to run. Thoughts? Should I throw a spark plug in it and run a few tanks through it before getting worried?

Thanks for any thoughts

I'd try some fresh gas first. 5 months is WAY too long for it to be sitting even with additives, just MHO

Can try adding some seafoam to the gas, it will usually freshen up the gas to some extent.