figuring horsepower rating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beas

Reaction score
Hey! A fella can lose a few days when he finds this forum! I have an older ('84) aluma craft I am redoing. I am at least the second owner. The capacity plate is gone, so I have sent the info to alumacraft for a replacement.A couple emails back and forth, they seem to be having trouble finding the info! I am sure they will though. In the mean time, I used the coast guard formula to figure horsepower. It doesn't seem right, so I thought I would ask y'all. We will see who is right once alumacraft sends me a new plate!
16' long
70" transom width
20" transom height
Flat bottom hard chine
Remote steering
It is what I would call a mod V, but not near as much as what alumacraft makes today.

Any guesses as to ratings?

Beas

So.. When I do the coast guard formula, I get 105hp. That can't be right! 16'Alumacraft ('84) flat bottom that I want to build into a salt flats fishing boat. New decks,move console forward, storage....

I can't attach a picture right now. As soon as I figure that out I will....

Attachments

• 20150310_171457.jpg
    20150310_171457.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 752
  • 20150310_171540.jpg
    20150310_171540.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 752
60hp remote? Thats good then, I was told by alumacraft that this is their MV1670. The website doesnt list that size anymore, so I cant go by that. They mailed me a new cap. sticker, so I should get in a few days. This boat had a 60hp mercury on it at one time. It now has a 1974 Evinrude 50. It will be interesting to see what the difference is...

The capacity sticker came in the mail today......35hp. ....1010 weight...???

If your going to have remote steering I'd be think you would be safe with a 50hp motor.

I googled your boat...the best I could find was the 35hp. I also seen a few that only had a 15" transom, yours is 20" ?
The 1010 weight is probably person, gear and motor capacity. From what I read, your boat weighs 288 lbs.

What year? Mine's a 2000 rated for 40. My forty is really a fifty with a tiller. It's fast but pretty civilized.

The rating took a dive to 35hp, for the later models, after the heavy 4strokes overloaded the sterns. It was the weight that forced it, not the power. Most of the Alumacrafts got wider and lost HP capacity in order to float the 4strokes.

Yes, the 1010 weight is total, which I agree with. Its the horse power rating I have a different opinion about. Like I mentioned, the boat had a 60hp mercury with hyd tilt.I feel like that was the way the boat was originally purchased, but I can not verify that. It now has a 50, which I have seen get bogged down in swells, with a light load.
The closest thing they sell now is the same size, same weight capacity, but is rated for 60hp. (Side console remote, same as mine). I'm going to ask if the remote steer rating is 35, or something higher.

It a 1984 model....

Well, Alumacraft is sticking with the 35hp for tiller or remote. They say all their boats this size are rated that way, even the 2015's. The say its because of the amount of foam in it.......I'll probably just let it go...

Latest posts