'88 Evinrude 15hp sparkplug,waterpump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezdrama

Reaction score
Bought my first boat last year.
It has a 1988 15hp evinrude manual start.

I changed the lower oil and it ran great all last year untill the last 2 times I took it out. I started it in my driveway with watermuffs then once in the water had a hard time getting it started.

I kept it in my garage over the winter but never did anything to winterize it so dont know what to expect this spring.

Ive read to replace the waterpump every couple years so im sure its in need of being replaced.
Ive worked on cars my whole life but never an outboard so wondering how difficult it is?

Also, besides a new spark plug and waterpump...anything else I should do?

deezdrama said:
Bought my first boat last year.
It has a 1988 15hp evinrude manual start.

I changed the lower oil and it ran great all last year untill the last 2 times I took it out. I started it in my driveway with watermuffs then once in the water had a hard time getting it started.

I kept it in my garage over the winter but never did anything to winterize it so dont know what to expect this spring.

Ive read to replace the waterpump every couple years so im sure its in need of being replaced.
Ive worked on cars my whole life but never an outboard so wondering how difficult it is?

Also, besides a new spark plug and waterpump...anything else I should do?

Ok, Ive read a bunch and watched some videos... The waterpump seems to be an easy swap. Pull lower unit off and replace.
Ive ordered the waterpump kit and spark plugs.

Another thing I had issues with was at the end of last year when I was having issues getting the motor started, I noticed sometimes the pull start would not engage. About 1 out of every 10-15 pulls it had no resistence or engagement. Any ideas what would be causing this? Is a new pullstart going to be needed soon?