Ever Shorten A Foot Pedal Cable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxtaylor

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the process of turning a 14' jon boat into a 'bass boat' - flat decks, etc.. I have a 55lb Minn-Kota Edge but in my testing, the 5' cable for the foot pedal is unmanageable in this small boat. It won't sit where I want it to. Nowhere that I can really bolt the pedal down to either. Has anyone ever cut the cable to shorten it? I'm looking to cut maybe 18" out of it..

You can see the base for the pedestal seat under the plastic. The motor will mount onto the aluminum angles.. Sorry, should've taken a new pic with it sitting on there tonight. But you can see I don't have a whole lot of room to work with a 5' cable.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 761
Welcome to the world of cable steered foot trolling motors. The cable is always in the way and it's either too long or too short.

I haven't looked into one in a good while, but if it's just a Morse style cable, they can be had at any place that handles shifter and throttle cables for, like dragsters and that sort of thing. Jegs or Summit, or any of the little guys who deal with this kind of thing. Aircraft too I believe.

If not a Morse style cable, perhaps a call or visit to a custom motorcycle shop could get you led in the right direction.

Morse cables can't really be shortened, well that "could" theoretically be shortened (heck, they had to manufacture them?) but I don't know of a DIY way of doing it and it still be reliable.

turbotodd said:
Welcome to the world of cable steered foot trolling motors. The cable is always in the way and it's either too long or too short.

I haven't looked into one in a good while, but if it's just a Morse style cable, they can be had at any place that handles shifter and throttle cables for, like dragsters and that sort of thing. Jegs or Summit, or any of the little guys who deal with this kind of thing. Aircraft too I believe.

If not a Morse style cable, perhaps a call or visit to a custom motorcycle shop could get you led in the right direction.

Morse cables can't really be shortened, well that "could" theoretically be shortened (heck, they had to manufacture them?) but I don't know of a DIY way of doing it and it still be reliable.

That's exactly the answer I wasn't hoping to hear. I'm going to tear into it and see, but I'm going to fish with it this weekend and see how much it actually bothers me. Mounted it and the loop of cable almost reaches my knees. But hey.. it's functional.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 740

Latest posts