Need help troubleshooting 93 Evinrude 25hp elec start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who pooted?

Reaction score
Guys,
I've got an elec start 93 Evinrude 25hp that I'm having problems this year getting to start reliably. It has ran great the last two years. Had the motor completely overhauled carb, water pump, fuel pump, and just installed new properly gapped plugs and l/u oil. I'm running 50:1 evinrude oil and seafoam motor treatment. I always ran the gas out of my motor on each trip and used non ethanol w/oil and stabil for insurance. When I replaced the plugs they were pretty fouled, maybe idle got out of wack. Just put it in the tank and got it to start, but had to put my hand on the opening of the carb to starve it out air. Once it turned over it would run at idle then slowly die. After the motor got warm it would run fine w/out spitting and sputtering, but if I ran 3/4 throttle then slowly backed off it would die. Then restarting was an arduous task having to do the hand over the carb thing again. I'm hoping once i get on the lake tomorrow running up and down it for a while might help alleviate my issues.
Any suggestions would be helpful. I am confident in tearing my engine down, rebuilt a couple that have ran fine and still do. Just wanted to see if i'm missing any quick fixes y'all may know.

Thanks- Adam

Sounds like you are definitely lean at idle. Adjust your needle out until the engine smooths up and runs correctly when backed off the throttle.
As for starting, the needle adjustment will help that as well but pull your primer nipple and check to see if it is clogged up. Not the hose...the nipple.
Super small orifice and I find that fairly often with this complaint.

Thanks everyone I'll look into hopefully this afternoon. I really appreciate the help.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
:LMFAO:
Sounds like it might need an Italian tune up.
:LMFAO:

My mom had a 96 Honda accord that she baby'd, and once a year or so she'd tell me it was running funny and kinda weak.
That thing never saw more than 2000 RPM when she drove it.

I'd take it out and beat the snot out of it for 15 minutes and bring it back and it would run a whole lot better.

The Italian job did the trick. Ran all the bad crap out. That Seafoam additive is where it's at!

Just curious, what is your starting method? I have a mid 90s 30hp rude (no serial number anywhere) that I sometimes have issues with.
The initial start up is not bad sometimes first try it starts others 2nd or 3rd. Its when I want to cruise to another fishing spot that the motor will crank but not fire up. Today it did the same and i was able to start it by giving it full throttle and hitting the start button then backing off the throttle. Again it only does it sometimes not always. I had the carbs rebuilt last year along with a new priming assembly that was bad, new tank and hose (self vented which balloons up when its hot out). My mechanic could'nt find the issue last year as he said he started it several times with no problem. So im left wondering if maybe I give it too much gas by always pressing the bulb before every start. Don't mean to hi jack your thread but id thought id ask. besides that i love my rude runs like a champ once started. thanks

Latest posts