1990 15HP Evinrude E15EESR Wont shift out of gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick17

Reaction score
Hey guys. last year I restored my 67 16' jon boat only to finish towards the end of the season. Only had the opportunity to take her out twice. On the last trip the motor shifted fine until my buddy and I got up river. We shut our boats off to hang out and started them back up to head back down. I went to shift to neutral to start it and it wouldn't shift out of drive. The lever moves along with the rod but its stuck in gear. So it wont go into neutral or reverse as it was prior. I'm new to the boat world, so I'm at your mercy.

It also started to have a fuel problem. I think its the fuel pump. Brand new gas tank, bulb and line. It'll idle fine but I have to keep pumping the bulb to run it at driving speed. Let me know if this is a problem that directs to the fuel pump.

I've looked around for a manual and haven't been able to locate one. So if any of you have a lead, please let me know.

Thanks for any and all help.

Most likely the shift rod just came loose. You have to unbolt the lower unit and drop it down slightly. Inside you will see the shift rods. The upper rod attaches to the lower rod with a brass coupling that squeezes together with 2 screws. They may have came loose or it may have stripped. The lower rod that goes on down into the lower unit is threaded into the shift lever inside the lower unit. It is possible that it has come loose but unlikely.

Latest posts