Mercury 20hp 4 stroke motors at Academy Sports

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman3395

Reaction score
anybody ever bought one of these from academy sports! Just wondering if they are good motors

bassman3395 said:
anybody ever bought one of these from academy sports! Just wondering if they are good motors

Our friend has one. Runs great but sure likes the gas. $$$ Not sure where he bought it from though. I'll ask him tomorrow. No matter where it is purchased, it should still come with the manufacturers' warranty, I would think.

Academy Sports.....I thought those were all over the south, until a few days ago when a Gent told me they were not in Florida. :shock: I did not know that.

I bought a Merc 5hp 4s from Academy 18 mos ago, full factory warranty, came in a sealed factory carton, etc. with all owners manuals/info, yada yada yada. Just make sure the shipping carton is still sealed so you have a better assurance that all the info and parts are there.

I had trouble with the 5 being hard to start when cold, it would flood out, etc., so I took to the local Merc dealer here in town. When they asked if I bought it there and told 'em no, I could tell they did not really want to work on it but did (warranty work) and they fixed it, they had to drill out the brass plug to make some fuel flow adjustments. It runs fine now, and starts much easier. You will/might save a couple hundred bucks. Might want to check out BPS, they have some pretty good deals on Mercs at times, like $500 off or more on the smaller OB's.

if you get one from academy look at the manufactured sticker date. I found one last march on the rack that was dated 2011. after a little dickering with the manager he knocked 500 off.

I did notice that the basspro version pretty much offers electric start and some with tilt/trim where academy does not.

Reply about our friends' motor:

He bought it from a Merc dealer. Sorry I could not be of any further help, but looks like these other guys sure helped you. :) Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Latest posts