Adjusting the throttle/shifter cables. 1979 Chrysler outboar

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
Hello tinboats! It has been a while since I have been to the forums, good to see it still going strong!

I have a 1979 Chrysler 45 horse. Last winter I had to replace the shifting and throttle cables because the old ones corroded. After changing the cables it has never been right. I haven't messed with it much because I most often fish electric only lakes but I want to get out on the river. It will shift into forward and reverse, however, the throttle kicks in too soon and wants to rev the motor up before eventually clunking it into forward gear. Does anyone know how to adjust it properly? Do I want to "lengthen" the throttle cable while "shortening" the shifter cable via adjustments or vice versa? Any ideas before I start fiddling around would be appreciated.

You are on the right track. You must have the single lever control box. With the lever in the upright/neutral position, make sure the shift cable is adjusted so the shift mechanism(under the hood) is centered exactly between fwd and rev. Best bet is to acquire a service manual and follow the procedure. Both cables need to be adjusted by the book.

I have a 1980s Chrysler Force 50hp.
I bought the shop service manual off of ebay which has been a HUGE help
in just minor adjustments.
I swapped the 50hp from a 35hp. even though everything is the same,
there are small differences between the 35 and 50 cables.

Did you buy the cables new or used ??

I bought new teleflex cables off of eBay. I don't have a manual so I am going to have to "wing" it as it were. I haven't been able to find a manual and no shop will even look at it because of its age. If I get an opportunity after work today I will try and get it rolling, will let you know how it turns out if I do.

If you can provide some photos of the starboard side of the motor,
I may be able to help you.
If the carb linkages are the same or similar to my motor, my shop manual
would put you in the ball park of correct adjustments.

It starts at the beginning . . . your control station .
IF you have a single lever for gear shift and throttle, there are adjusting
nuts inside the control box that need to coincide with the ones on the motor.

If all you did was install new cables, and the motor ran fine before you changed them,
it is just a matter of simple adjustments.

I guess the most accurate way to do the adjustments is to lay the old cables
along side the new ones and see what is different. (IF you still have the old ones)

yeah, I know . .. . a lot of IFs

I took the afternoon and fiddled around with it with my 9 year old son's help. I figured even if we didn't get it going the father-son time would be well spent. I watched intently while he was shifting the motor from forward to neutral before the throttle engaged. and then slowly adjusted the shifter cable to push further and further until it went into gear. The trial and error part took some time, but after tinkering around it seems to be shifting fine in a barrel. I can't wait until I can get it out and see how it works on the water. I may still have to fine tune the throttle cable a bit to make sure it isn't idling too high or restricting WOT but I can't do that until I can open her up and get her going real well. Thanks for all of the advice! Like usual I just had to get off my behind and get my hands dirty until I figured something out.

good job...... yep, the son will remember that Father n Son time forever.

just take your memory and tool bag with you to the lake to fine tune your adjustments.
you are on the right track.
With my cable switch, once it ran and shifted fine in the barrel, it ran and shifted fine in the lake also.
so you are probably very close to the end.

It still would be a good idea to get the shop repair manual off of ebay.

Latest posts