Exhaust plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger25

Reaction score
Hey Fellas, I encountered a strange one. That 6hp Sail Master has a plug in the exhaust ,I pulled it out . Good or bad? I guess it was put in to quiet the motor while moving in and out of a marina. Also anyone off hand what pitch prop came with a short shaft 6 hp?

Sure It's not there to create back pressure? 2-Smokes need back pressure for correct exhaust scavenging and correct cylinder charge filling.

Got a pic?

Don't have pic off hand but look here, its parts #42 thru # 46. it fit into the exhaust port on the LU, With it installed all the exhaust went thru the exhaust relief. I understand about needed back pressure but this seemed a bit extreme. I've only ran it in the barrel not on the boat yet,still looking for a used prop.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1990&hp=6&model=E6SLESR&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase

I am not sure why they put that in there, what purpose it serves, but I don't know why you would want to remove it. It's a factory part so was obviously put there for a reason.

Many of those engines were installed in a lazarette. Dont know if the spelling is correct on that one. Anyway a lazarette is basically an engine bay. No transom mount. As such, the exhaust fumes from the engine were "less than desirable" from the sailing crowd so a plug was installed forcing the exhaust to exit down and away from the enclosed area the engine ran it. When unplugged the exhaust was up in the cocpit of the sailboat. That wreaked absolute havoc with the typical sailboater who hated outboards with a passion anyway.
Back then OMC even made what was called a Sail Drive. A 35hp powerhead with basically no midsection. They were installed in sailboats as a main power unit. They were installed on a mount system that basically looked like a huge donut. Vibration free.

Pappy said:
Many of those engines were installed in a lazarette. Dont know if the spelling is correct on that one. Anyway a lazarette is basically an engine bay. No transom mount. As such, the exhaust fumes from the engine were "less than desirable" from the sailing crowd so a plug was installed forcing the exhaust to exit down and away from the enclosed area the engine ran it. When unplugged the exhaust was up in the cocpit of the sailboat. That wreaked absolute havoc with the typical sailboater who hated outboards with a passion anyway.
Back then OMC even made what was called a Sail Drive. A 35hp powerhead with basically no midsection. They were installed in sailboats as a main power unit. They were installed on a mount system that basically looked like a huge donut. Vibration free.
Now you are talking Pappy. I have seen those and that makes sense. I have also seen Dory's and work boats(used to push logs) with outboards mounted inboard in open bays.

Latest posts