Motor size for 1960's model alumacraft shallow v

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a bigger motor on my 14 foot alumacraft v. I'm currently running a small 2.5 hp 4 stroke on it. The motor runs well, easy handle, but doesn't even get close to planing the boat. pushes the boat like a log through water lol. maybe 3 mph if that. With that being said, wanting to get some opinions on what to run. I have the boat set up for two, but have fished 3 people out if it from time to time. I'm simply tired of getting completely run over on a bigger lake. advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 216263_10201084715628843_1777631988_n.jpg
    216263_10201084715628843_1777631988_n.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 687
Is that electrical PVC on the one side of the boat!? If so, what are you running in there?

CMOS

I've got a line on a older Johnson 7.5 hp, in perfect running condition, the guy kept this motor tight. Think that would push the boat pretty good?
Yes that is electrical conduit, it has all the wiring for battery, lights, and plug ins for the trolling motor, all water tight. cheap way to run your wiring clean. Once I add flooring and some storage, i run it under, but for the time being, works pretty well

If the Johnson 7.5 is an early 80's motor I would get it if the price is right. They were nice motors with a good horse power to weight ratio. They weighed about 20lbs les than a 9.9 or 15. I have the same motor in the Evinrude version.

Thanks for all the input, I'll keep all of this in mind while looking. Try to focus my attention on something between a 10 and 20 hp

Latest posts