1961 evinrude 5.5hp water pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXOnyxXx

Reaction score
ok my son bought a 5.5 evinrude and he was told it only pumps water when its in gear.. how can this be right?

Sounds like it needs a new impeller. It should always be pumping water.

[youtube]KM0ZsT6KThg[/youtube]

Go to 1:01 to see what it should look like.

To change the impeller you have to lift the power head up. Do a youtube search on it. There are a few videos that show how it's done.

Riverdog said:
To change the impeller you have to lift the power head up. Do a youtube search on it. There are a few videos that show how it's done.

wow he has to lift the powerhead ... sounds like a bit of a pain, so ya can't just drop the lower unit to change out the impeller?

No, the older engines did not have a disconnect feature on the shift shaft yet.
The powerhead is an easy one to remove. Also gives the owner a chance to change out all the fuel lines while the powerhead is off, go through the carb if he wishes as well. Easier while it is off.
Will need a new powerhead base gasket when doing this job.

Pappy said:
No, the older engines did not have a disconnect feature on the shift shaft yet.
The powerhead is an easy one to remove. Also gives the owner a chance to change out all the fuel lines while the powerhead is off, go through the carb if he wishes as well. Easier while it is off.
Will need a new powerhead base gasket when doing this job.

thanks for the reply ...
i'll tell him to do the fuel lines while he has the head off ..

thanks for the replys ... he said he has it covered so i'll let him do it .. LOL thanks guys !!

well a update.. he said he's not going to put the thermostat back in ... i didn't think they ran a thermostat in 1961 ... very curious on this one LOL

The engine DID run a thermostat in that model year. Would be well worth it to put it back in. Idle quality and longevity are both improved by running it. Purchase new if in doubt. Look at your parts diagrams available to you in marineengine.com

Pappy said:
The engine DID run a thermostat in that model year. Would be well worth it to put it back in. Idle quality and longevity are both improved by running it. Purchase new if in doubt. Look at your parts diagrams available to you in marineengine.com

i talked him into ordering a new t-stat, so atleast he is gonna do it right. thanks for all the info !!!!!