Would you trust a motor that has been overheatEd?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR.223

Reaction score
To the point it locked up till it cool down. Well that's what happen to a 25 merc 2stroke that my dad had. Water pump went out and no alarms sounded motor ended shutting down when it seized up. Got it home and it was spinning free. New pump installed along with new head gasket. Cranked and ran fine. Compression is 120psi on both cylinders. Wich surprised the heck out of me. So I ask, would you trust this motor now for long hauls? I like runnig creeks where I may be a few miles from ramp.

I bought a 1979 25hhp Johnson that had overheated to the point the
white paint on the power head turned gray.
Compression was 90 in both cylinders, complete new water pump, so I bought it.
5 years later, it still has 90 compression and runs good.

Second motor: 1988 35hp Chrysler Force.
Seller said it overheated to the point that the warning buzzer sounded.
He said he rebuilt the water pump - so I bought it. (after having good success with the Johnson)
Problem was not the water pump - it was the thermostat .....
He probably did 90% damaged to the motor.....
The remainder 10% was on my watch.
The motor is toast - 60 compression on top cylinder, zero (0) on the bottom.

So make SURE you know WHY the motor overheated...... it could be a couple of reasons.
If it has good compression, I would say use it . . .. just keep an eye on it until you are comfortable.
If it were mine, I would add a little more oil to the gas for a little more lubrication until
any glazed surfaces get back to normal.

Jus my dos centavos

Try it with a lot of shorts hauls first - I would run circles in sight of the dock for at least an hour or two and then shut it down let it go completely cold (like maybe just come back another day) and do it again - if it runs for a solid hour on two separate occasions with varied throttle (anywhere from a slow craw to wide open) I think it would be fine.

Like was said - add some extra oil - change your plugs and be safe

came out in PIECES ???
Just a scarey thought, if any of those rubber pieces
from the impeller could have made it up into the water jacket ???
or, into the thermostat ???
What is the worse that can happen IF it did ???
I guess all you can do is like Ahab said . . . run it for quite awhile
within paddling distance of your boat ramp.

Latest posts