1973 Johnson 9.5-SHORT SHAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymybob

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this motor? I'd be using it on my 14' Sea Nymph. Not looking for the fastest but something that is easily maintained and reliable. Thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My son just bought one for $100, hadn't run in years and was covered with dirt. 5 minutes with a pressure washer and some clean-up inside to loosen the old grease, fresh fuel and maybe 10 pulls and it runs like a dream. It's really cute with the low profile on his 14' V bottom and lighter than my Merc 9.9 on my Duraboat. What a deal!!!

If it has roughly equal compression on both cylinders, runs good, etc., then around here in central NC that would be a killer price.

Tried negotiating but he wants 375 minimum... I'm still thinking about it...

Let me ask, what would a good compression reading be for this motor. That is probably the biggest factor at this point.

If it is as good mechanically as it is cosmetically 375.00 isn't a bad price. It looks like a low use motor that has been taken care of. Does he have a fuel tank and have you heard it run?

no fuel tank included. He did tell me the compression on both cylinders were 78 psi for both. I have not heard it run nor check the compression myself...

pymybob said:
no fuel tank included. He did tell me the compression on both cylinders were 78 psi for both. I have not heard it run nor check the compression myself...

For $375.00 you should be able to run that motor. I would test the compression for sure. Also test for spark on both cylinders. If, he does not want you to run it or test compression your self, then walk away. Hard to do, but taking someones word you don't know will leave you with $375.00 parts motor. Also take into consideration, if your state requires a motor to be titled. If he or she does not have the title then it may be a struggle to get a title. If your state titles motors, then check with your states Boat and motor department's rules and regulations. Also, some states allow you to perform at search if a motor has been titled or stolen.

If you get 78Psi upper and lower on that motor by rope start method, then that is good compression for that motor. Those motor were not intended to power houses, but excellent smooth running fishing motors. If the guy, gets a drill and spins the motor to test compression like a electric starter, then your compression reading will be falsely high. If they do not have exhaust leaks and are tune well, they run very well and smooth. You can not compare the 9.5hp with later 9.9hp Evinrude Johnson motors.

A Evinrude/Johnson 9.5hp will get about 12 to 15 mph on the water with an light weight average 14ft Tinny.

A Evinrude/Johnson 9.9hp will get about 18 to 20 mph on the water with an light weight average 14ft Tinny.

Carb kit for that motor about $40
Coils for that motor $46
Points and condenser for that motor $21
water pump impeller $15

So, if purchased without seeing if it runs well, you could end up with the above expenses, in addition to $375.00 you paid. That is taking into consideration you are doing the repairs your self. If you can find a mechanic that knows how to work on that motor then about $85 to $100 an hour to repair.

So, condition and a running motor makes a big difference.

Latest posts