OMC pressure tank rebuild almost complete

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR

Reaction score
I have spent the few nice days in Michigan rebuilding the pressure tank for my 1956 7.5 hp engine. I have heard rumors of these tanks exploding or catching fire. Has anyone had first hand experience with this or is it just an attempt to sell me something? I grew up with these outboards and never had a problem with any of my motors that used this system.

Wive's tales!
For one, there is a pressure relief valve in the tank. For two, the tanks are amazingly strong and can withstand alot more pressure than they are in service with.
Compared to a plastic tank which turns into roughly a football shape when hot I would pick the steel tank every time.
Also, the diaphragms, being at the top of the tank, are not submerged in the gasoline all the time like a fuel pump is. Pressure tanks hardly ever go bad except from age. It was an elegantly simple design.

Thanks Pappy! =D> this puts my mind at ease. My dream engine is a Johnson QD 12 like my Grandfather had.

I get to order a new fuel tank gasket because people can't keep their hands of my stuff. I can't afford an extended family any more.

Pressure tanks can fail if they are excessively rusted. A good tank is never a danger. You still need to exercise good judgement with a pressurized fuel system. Relieve the pressure when the boat is not in service.

A fuel leak obviously can pose a fire/explosion hazard if the pressure pumps all the fuel into the bilge. Use ALL good rubber parts and proper factory clamps. Screw clamps biting and crushing the hoses is a sure sign of shoddy work. That can be dangerous. Screw clamps go right in the trash can.

Get good at changing the orings in the fuel connector. Keep some on hand. Use care when connecting and disconnecting the fuel line. Make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges on the engine(male) fitting. These will damage the orings and cause a leak...and keep causing leaks.

I like pressure tanks and never convert to a fuel pump unless someone else is paying. It is easy to see why OMC discontinued them. Knowledgeable operators with good judgement are required or safety disappears. We here, at Tinboats, are ALL such people but, OMC was selling to the general public.