Installing lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callmecaptain

Reaction score
I'll be installing my lower unit tomorrow after I pick it up from the marine shop, they had to repair an issue with the shift rod and cam.

My shift cable is disconnected inside the outboard. My Mercury outboard shifts by turning the shift shaft left & right. Should I leave it disconnected and keep the lower unit itself in neutral when I install it? Then connect the shifting cabling after the lower unit is installed?

Thanks

Pappy said:
Yep, plenty of grease on the splines of the driveshaft and shiftshaft.
No actual need to leave the cable disconnected but it will not hurt anything.

Cool, thanks Pappy!

Not sure on Mercs, but on my other OEM service manuals for OBs they say never to grease the TOP of the driveshaft, to prevent a hydro-lock, or you may never get it out again ...

I got the lower unit installed last night. I actually had the throttle and shift cables disconnected because I was removing my jet outboard pump and installing my prop lower unit. I put the remote throttle into drive (first indent) while I had the lower unit in forward with the shift rod turned to the left, right before it shifts into neutral.

Everything checked out the first time, hitting the gears at the right spots, Forward, Neutral, and Reverse.

The previous owner thought it was a good idea to lift the shift rod, cost me $400 to fix. :evil:

Oh well, it should be ready to run this weekend.

:beer:

Latest posts