Motor mount question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alderman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2004 Smokercraft Alaskan with a 15 horse Evinrude 2-stroke. I haven't had a chance to try the boat out.
I might be able to get a 35 horse Johnson.

If I were to mount the 35 horse, would I have to do anything special to the transom or could I just screw it on and go?

:WELCOME:

Good Question:
Well, first of all, there should be a maximum HP sticker somewhere on the boat.
If it is ok for a 35, try to get it tuned with the cavitation plate even with the bottom
of the hull. Quite a few posts on this subject. Just do the search " motor install "
Easier to install it correctly now, than later, when you find out it is not in tune with your transom.
And, of course, make sure your transom is not rotted or soft. and is strong enough for a 35.
Basically, if you put a 20" motor on a 18" transom, you will have some issues.

Jus my dos centavos

Like was said already: shortshaft motors go on short transoms(15in), longshaft motors on long transoms(20in). Never good to mix, ever.

As far as mounting the 35, you can just use the clamps if you want. Check them all the time. Tighten by hand, don't use tools. Clamps need to be lubricated to work properly. That engine will have provision for two mounting bolts to secure it to the boat.

You only get ONE chance to drill those holes correctly!

Measure the engine to locate the engine exactly in the center of the boat. Make sure your drill goes straight through the transom, not at any angle. Use sealer on the bolts. Sealer must be rated for use below the waterline. 3M 5200 is good here. Use factory SS mounting bolts, nuts, and washers.

Latest posts