Low Cooling Water Flow - It Was The **** Gasket!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuteman62-64

Reaction score
Rebuilt pump/impeller system on my Mariner. Impeller shot and pump housing showed some heat damage. Installed new pump housing, impeller, bottom plate and gasket (3'd party, from Sierra).

After a few runs on the muffs it became obvious that, although I had a cooling water flow, it just wasn't like it was before the old impeller went. The flow through the tell-tale at idle was just a drip (again, on the muffs). Running on the muffs I had to crank the faucet way further open than I had previously.

I had forced water through every available orifice before putting the LU on, so, I was sure the issue wasn't a clog in the cooling passages. So, I pulled the LU and disassembled the water pump for further study. I had the old parts so I compared them to the new (Sierra) parts. They were identical. Whoops, wait a minute. There was the new gasket that goes between the housing and bottom plate - sitting there kind of mangled. Took a closer look, compared with the old gasket (fortunately kept it) and, ****, it was half the thickness. Took a closer look and the new (third party) gasket wouldn't even compress when the pump housing was placed on the bottom plate.

Went to my local O'Reilley's and bought some water pump gasket material - turned out to be a hair thicker than the original gasket material. Cut new gasket, reassembled, test run this p.m., and, yessssss, back to the way it was way back.

The **** gasket made the difference. Who'd a thunk?

So, I again learned a few things by experience. First, 3'd party parts are great - save some $$$ and also deal with that dreaded "NLA" on the OEM parts list. But, as much as possible, check every piece against the old pieces.

Second. Save old parts till you are sure everything is working properly.

Only thing I'm worried about now is that the O'Reilly's gasket material didn't say "marine" on it. Hope it holds up

crazymanme2 said:
Sierra impellers are made from different rubber than OEM. OEM is better.

I went to Sierra after an OEM impeller failed right out of the box - the bushing that the key rides in cracked. So far, haven't had that problem w/Sierra. I did notice that the OEM impeller fit more tightly into the pump housing than the Sierra, however.