1960 Gale 35Hp Buccaneer-Pivot screw?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohemian Boat owner

Reaction score
Hey guys.....i recently acquired this 1960 Gale 35Hp ..Buccaneer......i think....but i have been having a heck of a time with the shifting......i thought i had done something wrong reconnecting the shift rod.......but i have found out friday that when i mistakenly removed the phillips screw on the lower unit while changing gear oil...... that i removed something i shouldnt have. i think he said the pivot for shifting ????? anyway...its sunday morning and i would love to make some headway today to getting this problem fixed. I appreciate any and all information on this as well as any additional information on this motor you may have. thanks.
BBo

Sounds like it's time to open the gear case and see what may be 'floating' around in there, and might be a sign for you to reseal the foot. It would be nice to see what happens in there while boating around.

Ikes............................i was afraid that may be the case......well....i do have the diagram of the lower unit to go by.......ok........then silly question here....but i'm admittingly not a mechanic. ...of any sorts.....but do i have to do anything with the lower unit.....of just unbolt the bottom gear case bolts only??......

Bohemian Boat owner said:
Ikes............................i was afraid that may be the case......well....i do have the diagram of the lower unit to go by.......ok........then silly question here....but i'm admittingly not a mechanic. ...of any sorts.....but do i have to do anything with the lower unit.....of just unbolt the bottom gear case bolts only??......

PM sent. Your diagram will help. There will surely be shift linkage to deal with and pulling the screws/bolts from an old motor is not always easy. I've afraid I've never been inside a Gale. If no one here can help, try AOMCI. And be patient. Some one will know just how to do it.

that screw holds the shift yolk in place. the yolk is what moves the clutch dog on the prop shaft.

This may help a little.
https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Galeservice004.pdf
I've heard of people using a wire, thin screwdriver, or probe of some sort through the screw hole to capture the wayward part and realign so the screw can be re-installed. This sounds like something I would waste a whole day on and never get right.
In any case, your water pump should be inspected/repaired if you expect a problem free season.

Actually fairly easy.
Easier if the gearcase is upside down though.
Anyway, just look through the hole left by the screw you removed. You should see a flat piece of metal.
Move the metal side to side with a thin sharp punch or similar until you see the hole in that flat piece of metal. Sometimes you will luck out and move it and it will stay in position long enough to slide the screw through it and lock it back in place. Other times a dab of thick grease helps.

Thanks for the help all! Using a piece of 1/8" Tig wire i fished carefully in the hole while moving the shifter real slow......i was able to find the hole easily then. i was lucky enough that when i eased the Tig wire out.....i was able to carefully slide the phillips screw in.....and easily thread back in place. .....Thanks again for your information...it saved me a lot of time...since i had no idea where to even start.
BBo

Good deal !
Now.... New gear oil and water pump.
New pump housing if you can catch your fingernail in any grooves in the housing or lower wear plate.
Watch the gear oil for the first few trips for water entry into the gearcase and oil. You may need to re-seal the unit.

Latest posts