1985 Mariner 50ML 50hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingline

Reaction score
I recently acquired an 85 Mariner 50ML 50hp outboard. I was told there isn't anything wrong with it, other than the choke puller won't stay engaged. I pulled the cowling to give it a look, and saw that the choke linkage was missing either a spring, pin, or whatever it is that keeps the choke engaged. I tried looking for a whole new linkage assembly on every outboard parts site I could think of, and they all say that the part is obsolete and it was replaced by other parts that are unavailable. I couldn't find anything on eBay either. I also tried looking it up on the Mercury site, and all they can tell me is to bring it to a local dealer, which there are none in my area. If any of you guys might know anywhere else I could try, I'd greatly appreciate the help. I also have parts available for trade if any of you have a merc or mariner laying around with this particular choke assembly, just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20150428_201116.jpg
    20150428_201116.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 774
It looks like there was just a rod linkage hooked into the cam and push/pull?

Try a paper clip bent w/ a small "S" on each end and insert into the holes. If that works get a piece of stainless wire.

There might have been a spring on the lower end of cam to push / pull to keep choke from engaging itself.

It still could be made by Yamaha even if it was sold as a Merc/Mariner. Try looking at Yamaha parts of the same year.

Tallpine said:
It still could be made by Yamaha even if it was sold as a Merc/Mariner. Try looking at Yamaha parts of the same year.
If the ID tag says made in Japan and has the old Yamaha crossed tuning forks on it it's a Yamaha.

Tallpine said:

Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

Definitely not a Yamaha. From what I can tell, I need a choke rod spring. Every site says it's obsolete, and unavailable. No replacements either. Might have to fab something.

Most hardware stores have a selection of springs and wire that you can make your own.

Latest posts