Jack plate HP ratings

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampRooster

Reaction score
Question. I'm looking into jackplates for my current project and want opinions. They make smaller JPs rated for outboards rated to 35hp then they jump to 130hp ratings. What do you do 40-50 hp two stroke guys do? I'm sure every insurance agent/ lawyer / risk assessor is cringing now But I find it hard to believe no one does this. Seems like there is a fair amount of weight (and cost) savings to be had for 5 ponies over. Am I crazy or just dumb?

I've seen a few 40hp on the smaller JP, all older 2 strokes. Thought about doing it myself but I don't steam long enough to make a JP feasible. Not saying it's right either, just stating what I've seen.

Build your own from aluminum angle.
Are you looking to just raise your motor or are you looking for setback too?
When they started rating motors at the prop 40hp motors became 35hp motors.

Thanks guys. I will post some pics when I get home. The boat is a '84 Lowe prowler pro 15 that I am in the process of stripping down for a rebuild. It is so far without motor. I am looking for a yamaha 40 2s. Max hp is 40 so thats what she'll get.

Here is was I have. Plans have been made to take her to the welder for some hole filing (why the POs felt need to drill so many holes I will never understand) and an aluminum frame to replace the rotted wood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 999
Johnny, I'm not sure I follow.

I'm thinking of buying a jack plate. I plan on fitting a 40hp 2s on this hull. My question is do I need to buy the one that is way over rated for my future motor or do people get by safely oversizing slightly with a lighter weight motor?

Buy a short shaft motor if you have a 15" transom. Buy a long shaft motor if you have a 20" transom.

ah ok - I got it now.
I will agree with 2smknbrls . . .

lckstckn2smknbrls:: If possible, Buy a short shaft motor if you have a 15" transom,
a long shaft motor if you have a 20" transom. If that is not possible, then build your own from aluminum angle.
Are you looking to just raise your motor or are you looking for setback too?
When they started rating motors at the prop 40hp motors became 35hp motors.

Could you measure the transom to share with us ?

Many very fine examples using the "SEARCH" function

Most use the 130, even down to 25hp. At least in this area....where they're pretty hard on boats and motors in flooded timber duck hunting areas. Which reminds me, a man came to me yesterday griping about how his motor was a pile of junk, but he's the same guy who has several youtube videos with him jumping logs and running the boat aground at full throttle/speed. I'm not sure any motor would last long being used like that.

Some motors you don't have a choice but to run the 130, as it's a little wider and some clamp brackets just won't fit on it width-wise.

Latest posts