Starting troubles Mercury 7.5

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insanity

Reaction score
Finally bought a Mercury 7.5 for my boat. It's a 76 model. I replaced the empeller first thing.
But can't get it to stay running. I cleaned the carb and had to replace the fuel pump. But it did the same thing it did when I first tried it. It tried to start on the second pull but died. Then got worse until it will only start in gear wide open. Runs fine wide open but when you turn the trottle down a little it dies in a few seconds like you hit the kill switch. No stubleing it just dies.
Thinking I have two problems. Something with the carb. And maybe a coil pack going bad.
Any ideas?
How does one act when the plugs are bad?

Funny how it does the same thing as it did the first time I tried to start it. And got worse.
I ran a little reg ethanol fuel just to try it.
Which rinkled the fuel pump up ( along with the gaskets till they dry. Then they lay back down flat ) wondering if it messed up the new fuel pump again. I no it's not supposed to hurt things. But you should see the gaskets for yourself. I've done lots of car carbs and two boats. But I've never seen a gasket curl up like this before. Even the fuel pump screen gasket which is cork did it.
This stupid ethanol fuel is some Hot stuff.

Well sence it still had the original spark plugs in it I went ahead and changed them.
Wow what a deference in high speed. I don't no how many rpm she is turning wide open but I no its to much. :mrgreen:

No change in running other wise.

Also Checked the new fuel pump. It does still look good.

It's looking like I'm gonna have to take it to the mechanic. Atleast three weeks from today when I have the money. Insert long sigh..... :(

Ok took the carb back off and cleaned the emulsion tube and idel air screw again. Per someone's suggestion on another forum.
Still the same result. It will scream wide open but will not run any slower.

Any ideas at all?

Any web sites anyone could recommend?

JMichael said:
Have you gone through the steps to set the timing advance/carb linkage (link n sync)?

No I just kept thinking it had to be the carb. Humm
Il go read up on that on the net. I bet I own a Manuel as soon as I get the money.

I just had my first carb apart 4 times before I traced down the problem. It was a frustrating week. Each time I started to take it to the shop, I thought about one more thing to try. Each time was quicker. I wish you the best of luck.

What would it do if it had sheared the key way in the flywheel?
It starts and runs wide open but if you turn the trottle down in just cuts off immediately.
The carb is spot less you can see threw everything in it that matters. So it has to be something else.

If the key is sheared it could change the timing which could cause different things to happen.

As for clean carburetors, I've seen them so clean you would think they were brand new but they wouldn't run an engine if your life depended on it. What you "see" with your eyes is only half of what needs to be clean. If any jets or the tiny passageways inside the carb get clogged, your carb is not going to work properly and you won't be able to see that sort of problem with your eyes.

Dang it ! I'm starting not to like this motor.
I finally found a syringe like you give a shot with. Loaded it with some gas and shot a little threw the throat of the carb. Guess what it fires. :evil:
So it is the stupid carb dang it. I took it off and completely striped ( removed everything) and cleaned it again. Um I've lost count was that four times I've striped it completey. It's been off about 9 times.
Even took out the main that the Manuel says not to.( thanks Jim for the Manuel!) Boy is it fun getting the Venturi back in place.
The hole is not cloged in the motor side or front of the carb.
All jets cleaned and you can see threw them. All passage ways let carb cleaner and air threw. There are no tiny ones on this carb.
Fuel pump is new.
Intake gasket looks good.
Air tube um I forgot what you call it. But it's clean and you can see threw it. Barely. Man that's a tiny hole.
Air fuel screw is clean and adjusted.
Dang this thing should run.
If I get board i might strip it again. But as of now I'm ready to let a mechanic have a go at it. Hope he has better luck. [-o<
Oh and the key way is fine and linc n sync is good best I can tell.

OK, if you got air and cleaner through all of the passageways and jets you should be good to go on that part. Have you tried disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and verify the fuel pump is actually pumping?

Yep it was full and the float is set correctly best I can tell. It's going to the shop tomorrow if I get off early enough. Hoping they can figure it out before the cost gets to high.
I've cleaned or rebuilt a lot of car carbs and this thing is so simple in comparison its pitiful. It's killing me to take it to the shop.

sounds like the carb is out of tune - did you check the plugs to see if they're loading up and getting wet or if it's running lean?

I took it to the shop today but they are running behind. Said it would be two weeks before they could get to it.
Heck il rebuild the hole thing before I wait two weeks. The fish are biting now.

So! I ran the snot out of it wide open when I got it back home. Trying to figure it out. And noticed it does something funny every so often. It screams way above what I think the max rpm should be. Air leak maybe? I thought when it did it before it was just kicking up to much air around the prop sense it will only start and run in gear. But it doesn't do it all the time.
It also gets harder to start and run as it warms up.
Wouldn't an air leak make it not want to run low rpms and hard starting? ( like its doing)
Someone mentioned the seals could be bad. The motor has barely been ran but they might be dry rotted. Any one think so?
Trying to figure out a way to vacuum test it. Il have to buy a new tester. If you guys think that will work.

Latest posts