1998 Mercury 6hp - Primer Link Location Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj0hn

Reaction score
Ok, can anyone tell me where part # 27 connects to? I see where on one side it connects to the primer adjustment knob, but on the end towards the carb, where does it connect in your eyes?

I looked at the motor yesterday and nothing stuck out to me as to where the carb end would connect.

Again, the item is #27 in the diagram.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Merc 6.0 Exploded View.pdf
    242.9 KB · Views: 26
A friend of mine owns an 8hp and 15hp that have this same setup. I'm going out to put a switchbox on the 15 today so I'll take a look at it and see what that linkage hooks to on the other end. If I don't forget my camera I'll take a pic for ya.

Well it may take longer than expected. I called my buddy to make sure he was gonna be home for me to drive out and install the switchbox. He's out for a Dr. appt this afternoon and not sure if he's going to be home early enough for me to do the install. It may be tomorrow or later before I can catch him at home to get you that pic.

JMichael said:
Well it may take longer than expected. I called my buddy to make sure he was gonna be home for me to drive out and install the switchbox. He's out for a Dr. appt this afternoon and not sure if he's going to be home early enough for me to do the install. It may be tomorrow or later before I can catch him at home to get you that pic.

No problem. I won't be fixing it for a few weeks

As I figured, I forgot my camera so I have my buddy's wife get a few pics with her phone. Only problem with that, she can't figure out how to email them to me now. I'll take my camera and get some new pics but it may be a few days before I get them. Sorry about that.

linkrod.jpg

This is a view from the right side of the motor with the right side of the picture being toward the front of the motor. The red arrow is pointing to the other end of the linkage rod. It sits just below the flywheel and It slides through a slit in that white piece of plastic that is used to advance the timing. From what I could determine, you'll need to remove the link completely and then slide the carb end of the linkage rod through the white piece of plastic from behind. Once you slide it through all the way it sill snap back in place on the arm at the carb. I hope that makes sense.

JMichael said:

This is a view from the right side of the motor with the right side of the picture being toward the front of the motor. The red arrow is pointing to the other end of the linkage rod. It sits just below the flywheel and It slides through a slit in that white piece of plastic that is used to advance the timing. From what I could determine, you'll need to remove the link completely and then slide the carb end of the linkage rod through the white piece of plastic from behind. Once you slide it through all the way it sill snap back in place on the arm at the carb. I hope that makes sense.

Alright. Just got back from vacation and got the link put in. It fits but doesn't seem to do much of anything. It moves that timing piece maybe a 16th of an inch. Think that enough to do anything?

I gotta do a cpl more fixed before I take it out again. I guess that be the answer!

I've messed around with 2 engines that have that "system" and I'm less than impressed with the design and function. I didn't think it did enough to justify the cost of putting it on the motor in the first place. But I guess it could be that I can't follow the service manual and adjust the thing, but my money is on it just being a poor design.