Mariner 60 hp 1989...no water from telltale

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Silver

Reaction score
I need help diagnosing this problem
I have a video showing my motor running, and some water sputtering from two rectangular ports at the back of the motor. I tried uploading the video but the site does not accept mp4 formats. Maybe someone here can guide me on how to upload videos and what formats are acceptable.?

After running the motor for about 3 minutes, there was still no water coming out of the telltale.
I'd appreciate any help from the forum on how to deal with this.
Thanks in advance!

Rob

My initial guess is a weak water pump. I'm not familiar with that motor to know if it has a thermostat. If it does it may not be opening or hadn't gotten warm enough to open.

kofkorn said:
Run a pipe cleaner up through the telltale outlet. Lots of times, a bug can make a nest in there and block it up.

Yes on that. Remove the whole hose and blow it out with air if needed.

Look at your engine. See if the tell-tale hose comes from the thermostat housing. If it does you will only see water flow when the thermostat opens, engine warm/hot. It will be pretty warm water. It will cycle as the thermostat opens and closes.

If the hose originates from the main water passage, block or head, then you should see water flow, under pressure, whenever the engine is running. It will get stronger as you rev up the engine.

That's the two different ways Mercury does it.

If you don't see any water, inspect pump. Never run engine with dry pump. The impeller will melt in just seconds...ruin your next time out.

I've got a similar problem with an 1989 johnson 25. But water is sputtering out warm almost hot water out of the tell tale, not consistent at all. Ive changed the impeller, removed and cleaned the water pump plate on side of block. Any ideas on what to do next?

Latest posts