1978 Johnson Seahorse Ignition Quesitons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loclgod

Reaction score
I recently purchased an older boat that came with a 1978 Johnson 35Hp Seahorse motor. I am going to be installing the battery and ignition soon. My question is this.... I do not want to install a keyed ignition and would like to just install a simple push button start. How do i wire this and what kind of of switch would i need? Also, how would i kill the motor once it is running? Sorry these are probably basic questions however i am just getting into this boating scene. I am somewhat familiar with how a car ignition works as i have repaired a couple in the past. I can only assume it pretty much the same. can post pics if needed. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.

kofkorn said:
Dont forget Purple/White with a separate switch to +12v for your choke/primer. Tough starting a cold engine without it.

Good luck!

I'm going to guess his motor doesn't have an electric choke. My 83 Seahorse doesn't.

Good call. I've been working on some of the larger motors with the electric solenoid for choke, I just assumed an electric start motor would include an electric choke. Do you need to run back and forth to the motor to turn it on and off??

kofkorn said:
Good call. I've been working on some of the larger motors with the electric solenoid for choke, I just assumed an electric start motor would include an electric choke. Do you need to run back and forth to the motor to turn it on and off??

Yep. Mine is electric start but has a pull knob on it for choke. I have to reach back to pull it. To be honest, it fires up without it.

Latest posts