Leaky Manual Trim

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callmecaptain

Reaction score
I noticed some oil coming out of my manual trim on my 60hp Merc after my recent fishing trip. It wasn't much but it dripped a little bit, is it something I need to tear into? I don't use a transom saver, would that cause this? Thanks

Where's it coming from? Can you post a few pics? Perhaps the visual effect will stir up a few Merc guys on here.

Sounds like a seal, but can't be certain. I'll be watching for your pics as I am sure others will be as well.

M
Tyler, Texas

Weird, I checked it again last night to take a pic and it looks to have gone away. I'm going to run my boat again this weekend and see if it happens again and shoot a pic if it does, thanks!

I had a longer than usual tow yesterday so I was able to get it to leak again with the motor tilted up. You can see in the first pic where it appears to be leaking out of that shaft seal? The trim still holds well. I noticed if I raise it all the way up as high as it can go, there is some play, I'm thinking it still has about 70% oil left in that piston.

I think when I'm hitting bumps along my way in the road is when oil is leaking so it's probably a small leak..

Leave it alone or is there a fix for that leak?

The 2nd pic shows how much oil leaked onto the lower unit.

Thanks

khelAuu.jpg

3Y3GVwr.jpg

I've never had to refill one in 40-years running over a dozen OBs. I'd just trailer it at a lower height with a wedge or that MyWedgie thing.

FWIW some OBs have a mechanical 'mooring or trailering' lock at full up tilt that is specifically designed to take the load off the hydraulics; typically on OMCs and Yams, who directly copied the OMC design.

I'm not sure if this model has a trailering lock or not, I usually just lift up on the outboard and use the trim lock. I bought a transom saver rod but it doesn't work because I have manual trim.. I might have to look into that wedge you're talking about or get a power trim unit for it. I don't want to throw money at the manual trim.

JMichael said:
Just to be sure, you have a 60 horse Merc and you travel with the motor up and no transom saver?

Correct.

Ok, I think this will work, I installed the transom saver and used a ratchet tie down to keep the outboard centered, it shouldn't move when trailering now. I'll see if the leak on the trim goes away after this.

Thanks for the replies.

2rCnj3e.jpg

Reporting back, the transom saver stopped the leaking. I guess the seals on my trim unit are going out but it's not leaking now. Thanks Jmichael

digi said:
I guess the seals on my trim unit are going out but it's not leaking now.
I bet it's more that the seals weren't designed to be subjected to the repeat and immediate shocks that trailering can put onto the system. Think about it if you hit a bump at 60MPH on asphalt ... that's a heck of a lot harder BUMP to the system than hitting a wake at 20MPH on water.

It is my contention that more 'shock' damage is caused to tin boats and other boating systems from trailering than from use on the water ... but that's just my opinion.

DaleH said:
digi said:
I guess the seals on my trim unit are going out but it's not leaking now.
I bet it's more that the seals weren't designed to be subjected to the repeat and immediate shocks that trailering can put onto the system. Think about it if you hit a bump at 60MPH on asphalt ... that's a heck of a lot harder BUMP to the system than hitting a wake at 20MPH on water.

It is my contention that more 'shock' damage is caused to tin boats and other boating systems from trailering than from use on the water ... but that's just my opinion.

You're spot on, I had a smaller motor before this so I never really dealt with trailering a heavier outboard. My buddies have the big boats, I'm just the little guy tryin' to catch up to em' =) thanks for the reply.

Latest posts