1969 Evinrude 18hp Fastwin WOT dies wont start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houndsman911

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I enjoy reading the post here and the sharing of wisdom. I've come across a problem with my motor that has me confused. I replaced both coils, condensers, points, plugs, wires, carb float, carb kit. The engine starts and runs great for about 1/4 mile, then it dies and will not start. When I arrived back home, pull the rope, it cranks right up. It did this before all of the parts were changed and still does it. I am curious if I may be dealing with a vacuum leak that shows up after warm up? I did get it to start once, but it seemed to only want to run using the choke. Perhaps a seal or gasket leaking after the engine gets hot? Im puzzled with this one, any advice is appreciated!

Where to even start on this one...............
Need more information. Does the engine shut off like you turned off a key switch? or run rough then shut down.
When you got it started again how did it run?
Did or were you able to check spark when the engine would not start. That is a key piece of information we need.
Doubt it is a seal.

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention ,I also installed a new Evinrude factory hose assembly and fuel tank. It does have a little pressure when I remove the hose. When the engine acts up, it acts like it would be shutting off then speeds up, then dies. Now that I'm typing this, I'm thinking, could it be the fuel pump? What's strange is it starts up again after a while even if i don't pump the bulb again. Maybe it slowly feeds the carb, then runs until its out of gas again?

Can you bypass the fuel pump? Raise a fuel can and run it directly to the carb (gravity feed). That would be one way to verify the pump is good or bad.

Pull the outlet of the pump and crank the motor. Does fuel shoot all over? (maybe put the pump outlet in a collector).

You are probably on the right track. From your latest description you are experiencing a lean surge just prior to the engine shutting off.
Prior to receiving the pump you can test your theory by simply pumping the bulb by hand when experiencing the issue. If that works then the pump will fix it.

I will try those things while waiting for the parts, hopefully I can narrow it down and diagnose the problem, thanks for the tips

Latest posts