New motor recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

team101

Reaction score
I am preparing to purchase a new motor for my 1448 Tracker Grizzly. What I was considering is a Tohatsu 20hp, then I did a little research on the Suzuki DF20AS (couldn't find much on them, but they are very popular overseas) with electronic fuel injection and very light weight for a 4 stroke. I'm interested in a tiller model, and I believe a short shaft motor is the appropriate size for this boat??? I plan on keeping the motor for 10+ years so durability, parts availability, ease of maintenance/repairs etc are important to me. I'd be interested in any feedback, experience, or other motor recommendations as I am a novice. Thanks.

In terms of parts and survicing check for the nearest outboard dealer to you. I know a guy with the honda 20 and he seems to like it. It weighs 5 pounds lighter than my 20 hp 1989 johnson and whispers like a librarian. The suzukis seem nice too. Their 40 hp is one of the quietest so i can only imagine the 20

Check to be sure there is a local dealer if the need ever arises. Merc dealers will probably work on 'em as they are the same as a Merc but different colors & badges. I've read numerous positive comments on 'em on another boat forum I visit, but no 1st hand experience. I seen a few negative threads as well, but you can get a lemon in any brand.

Basically, the only thing I can get serviced locally is Mercury so I guess that would include tohatsu. I'm really interested in the Suzuki with fuel injection and was hoping someone here has/had one and could share what their experiences were.

There was a very long thread recently in reference to a forum user who owned a 15hp Suzuki. Search it. That thread, and feedback from some of my customers at work have turned me away from Suzuki. Not so much the motor itself-but the experience of owning it and customer service. There is nothing about them that really overcomes the lack of support. If it were 5 mph faster or had a better warranty than the others, yes, I'd be more inclined to look at one. And I'll be in the market soon for a 25. Want a Yamaha but tired of waiting for their new 25.

Well, I ran an old motor for the past year and ended up completely redoing the boat. I picked up the Tohatsu 20hp. I hope to have the deck coated and the boat back on the water in 2 or 3 weeks.

Latest posts