Need some quick help accessing the impeller in Mercury 6.0

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickInTheSticks

Reaction score
I've got a 4-stroke 1996 Mercury 6.0 that I recently acquired. It was suggested that I replace the impeller before attempting to run it, so I went out and bought a new impeller.

Removed 3 bolts that allow the lower unit to come up a bit... the only thing that its catching on now, and forgive my lack of technical terminology... but it's basically a throttle rod. I turn the tiller F or R and it moves up and down adjusting the throttle on the motor. It runs all the way down the shaft and won't disconnect from the prop area...there's no bolts there, just a couple oil screws.

Something inside the motor to disconnect the rod up top?

And the bottom where its in the prop area.

Attachments

• IMG_20150515_170647_768.jpg
    IMG_20150515_170647_768.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 568
Figured it out when reading the comments to someone's video... seen a few had screws and that was why I was stumped... no screw on mine.

However, under the glob of grease is a small ridge that you can use a flat-head (or your fingernail) to pull up and pop off the key. Came right out after that!

Ughhhh!!!!

Lost my freakin' retaining key. I was trying to fit it in and it slipped outta my greasy fingers and I can't find it anywhere. So much for testing the motor tonight :(

HickInTheSticks said:
Ughhhh!!!!

Lost my freakin' retaining key. I was trying to fit it in and it slipped outta my greasy fingers and I can't find it anywhere. So much for testing the motor tonight :(

It didn't fall into the pump did it? Under where the impeller goes. The opening in the bottom in just about rite for that key way to fall into.
Took 15 try's to get mine in. With out the key way moving. Grease heck i thought about super glueing it. Lol.
I found the easiest method to be using a oil funnel to push the impeller fins in and down into the hole. It's almost a perfect fit for the little bugger.
Just cut it off and use the last two or three inches of the neck. The zip tie method didn't work to well for me.

Naw, my work area was a mess. I mean a complete disaster. Normally I wouldn't even start a project the way my workbench was looking, but I was just using my clamp to hold it upright to re-assemble. Probably better that I replace the key anyway. But I did think I saw it hit the work bench right in front of me.. in a pile of nails/screws/wrenches/etc that I never put away from a while back.

They're cheap tho, assuming the marine place will have them in stock. Gotta drive 45 mins to the shop, for a $2 part. :evil: Worse part about it is, there was nothing wrong with my old impeller. Will probably grab the "rest" of the kit, meaning gaskets and all too while I'm there.

I DID ask for an impeller kit. They just gave me the impeller, didn't realize it until I got home that I should change the gaskets and key too.

Work bench. Hum I think I still have one of them. I ain't seen it for a few weeks. :mrgreen:
Why is it so hard to put things back when we drag them out. I can clean my shop up and in three weeks you can't walk threw it again. And none ever comes over when its clean. #-o
But I also can't find anything I'm looking for if it's clean.
Guess il go clean mine up again sense it's raining cats and dogs and I can't fish today.

I know the feeling man! I got a few projects going on in there and it gets pretty bad at times.

Don't think the motor is a 4 stroke any longer like the owner said....i dont see anywhere to add oil to the motor, so I assume I run 40-50:1.

Can't figure out for the life of me which impeller key to order....the two marine shops didn't have it in stock this morning unfortunately. Three different websites have shown me 3 different part numbers using my serial nbr.

New problem guys. Been at this one all morning.

Put my impeller on (My wife actually found my retainer key! =D> ) and after putting it back together.... my throttle is all messed up.

Throttle turns through all the Forward speeds, and then some. Will not go in neutral or reverse. This was not an issue before I dropped the lower unit out.

To clarify, the motor was in F when I dropped the unit. Prop ticks when turned clockwise and has resistance when turned counterclockwise. As it should.

I just pulled the lower out again and the bar is hitting something, it won't push "down" any further to put the prop in neutral.

When changing the impeller, I did pull what I think is the water pump too. The impeller was tucked inside a metal piece and I didn't see it, so I kept going deeper into the prop housing. Opened up whatever it is the impeller sits on and the rods were all in the oil and stuff so I just put it back together (1 bolt) and re-inspected the other pieces I pulled off and found the impeller.

I feel like when I opened the lower unit I pulled the shift rod out place or something? forwards means it clicks moving right and spins the shaft when spun counterclockwise?

yep it should click going forward with resistance when turned back. Make sure the motor is in foward.
Mine was a pain I had to switch it back and forth and hope it fell in while the switch went into forward.

It also doesn't matter what gear its in as long as both the engine and unit are in the same.

I'm stumped on the bar hitting something as I can't recall how I worked my lower unit. In and out of gear.

By the way post a pick of your power head. We should be able to tell if it's four or two stroke.

Oh hitting something yea. That's what I meant by a pain. Try moving the shifter out of foward and back in just as you punch up the lower unit. Mine did the same thing. Fell in once but was in the wrong gear. Took 15 try's to get it in again.

Shouldn't I be able to shift the lower unit by pushing the bar up and down, tho? I'm not able to do that. Tried to get it in neutral and re-install with motor in netural as well.

I can re-assemble with motor and lower both in forward gear (only way the rod lines up in the engine), no problem.

But when I try to shift it into neutral, the rod will not go "down" any further into the prop housing. The tiller handle turns everything as its suppose to, and you can see the rod starting to flex as it TRIES to push it down to change the gear.

When I disconnect the rod from the motor, I can turn the tiller handle freely and it'll move the rod mount thing as it should. It's definitely getting caught up in the prop housing (gear case, I think?). I suppose the next step is going to be to drain the oil outta the housing and take a look-see and maybe visually get the rod where it needs to be?

My rod twisted right to left to put into gear best I remember.
Might be a difference in years as mine is a 1976.
And yours might need to be a in forward as you said. They said mine didn't really matter.

Mine did the same thing but you couldn't shift out of foward gear. Something wasn't lining up. By moving the selector from foward to neutral. It finally went the rest of the way up.
It's hangin down about an inch isn't it.

Note my selector is on the side of my engine housing as well so I could reach it while I worked the lower unit.

Clamp some vise grips onto the shaft and gently turn it right or left. doesn't that select your gears in the lower unit?
Don't clamp them on he splines!

For once I'm hoping I'm not rite. And maybe your shaft does move up and down. Because I've got a bad feeling you taking it apart rite now as I typ. :shock:
I keep hitting refresh and waiting. But my battery is dieing. And I'm about to leave and go fishing.
But the suspense is killing me. Lol

Latest posts