Mercury 9.8 Thunderbolt ignition to phelon mag conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake11

Reaction score
Good morning, folks. I have 2 old mercs in the garage. 1 is a 71 with the phase maker ignition. The motor is in beautiful shape has great compression and the LU is super solid. The other is a 69 with phelon mag ignition and is missing the LU. Compression is decent. I think the two cylinders are within 3 or 4 psi of one another.
The motor with the PM ignition is repeatedly popping one of the ignition coils(3 now) and at 50 to 100 a piece its getting old fast. I'm assuming something is going on with the extremely expensive and hard to find stator so I want to swap over to the more reliable and easier to trouble shoot phelon mag system. Some of the parts from the 69 are missing but the majority of it is there and the parts and nuts and bolts needed are cheap. So! Anyone ever done one of these conversions that could give me a run down? I have too many hours, dollars, blood, sweat and tears wrapped up in this motor to give up on it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Am by no means an expert but I would assume that if all the mount locations for the mag plate are in identical places and the flywheels will interchange....try it! I certainly would if I had those engines. Ask a Member may be better equipped to give you a more accurate answer though.

I believe all of the mount positions are good to go. I think I read somewhere a while back that the cranks are different and need to be swapped so I need to verify that. Will post on ask a member as well. thanks!

The OMC magneto is far easier to work with than the Phelon. I have never been more frustrated fixing and buying parts.

Restornator, I agree and imo everything on the omc's is easier. I was only toying with these because I got them for a steal.

Latest posts