Evinrude help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnywaters

Reaction score
I need a little help trying to figure out this problem. I have a 1992 60hp evinrude that was running great last season and now has no spark. I followed the shop manual the best I could. So far I have checked the kill circuit, seems to be working good. No ground when checking it, I pulled the kill switch and I have ground at the power pack. I even removed the wire temperaraly. Still no spark. I moved to the ohm test. I have a fluke 88. I ohms the stator wires a and b but got no reading. Then it had me ohms a or b to ground, to check for a shorted to ground stator. One of the wires shows continuity to ground. Going by the book it looks like I have a bad stator but those puppies are expensive and I want to make sure I am not missing anything. The starting voltage is good. The fuel is good. Just no spark. Could something be grounding out under the flywheel? Any tips or suggestions would be great, thanks

The fuse on the engine does not control the ability to produce spark or ignition.
If you have done your checks as outlined I would be looking at a stator. Hard to beat a Fluke 88 for accuracy.
Stators on that particular engine are usually pretty robust. See if you can get a hold of a peak reading voltmeter or add-on for your meter and do output checks starting at either end of the ignition system.

Thanks for the replys. The output test is the next test I want to do but the battery was getting low so I didn't want run it down. Maybe tonight. I also want to pull the flywheel just to make sure nothing is grounding out. I am a auto tech by trade so I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous when it comes to outboards. I will be the first to tell you they are not in the same boat ha! Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how it goes.